Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was encouraged by Oz to introduce myself after joinging the forum (an automated message I am sure). I thought it was a great idea so here I am... I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello!

I was encouraged by Oz to introduce myself after joinging the forum (an automated message I am sure). I thought it was a great idea so here I am...

I am a complete nube to Linux... well not complete but I might as well be. I'm a Sr. Systems Engineer in the Windows world (so not really an engineer by linux standards LOL) and I've had to jump into a Linux box from time to time. Always feeling totally unconfortable and wanting dersperatly to remedy that feeling. So, I'm hoping to do so witih help from this forum!

With that said, I've taken the plunge this week. I have totally gotten rid of my Windows 7 workstation and have loaded Mint 12. No, not a dual boot or a boot from a USB drive... a full blown install just to get me going in the right direction. I have to admit though that the I was more than highly amused to find a big Windows 7 advertisement at the top of the page when I went to post this message! Windows advertising on a Linux form... now that's desperation! So far I'm extremely happy with my move to the new desktop. Now if I could just get the Chrome Browser to install.... but I digress

A little bit more about myself... I am an admin on the IBM side of the house as well, with certifications in Tivoli, Domino, and SameTime.
    I'm also a VCP in ESX3 and vSphere4. I'll skip the M$ certs as even I want to throw up at them. I'm also currently chasing after a BS degree with an emphasis on project management at CTU (Colorado Technical University).

Well, enough about me... Some of you will get to know me better soon enough. Talk to you soon!!

If this is a double post... SORRY!! I was logged out on the first try and didn't see the post when I looked for it...

Quote Originally Posted by wanabegates View Post
    I have totally gotten rid of my Windows 7 workstation and have loaded Mint 12.
    [...]
    Now if I could just get the Chrome Browser to install.... but I digress
    Good luck with that, ditching windows and forcing yourself to get used to the new system can be a very rocky road, but IMO it is worth it even if you can only stick it out for a month. It will force you to learn things you'd otherwise not stumble across while dual booting with windows.

You've chosen an easy start, but don't be afraid to distro hop. By taking windows out of the occasion early, you've removed the annoyance of having to dual boot and back up your windows data to avoid losing it while partitioning. This is a plus when it comes to experimentation with different distros.

In Debian based distributions such as Mint, it should be a matter of

Code:
    # apt-get install 'name of package'
    I don't use Mint so not sure if chrome is in the repos, but it should be. If it's not then it should have chromium (chrome without most of the spyware and branding).

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the welcome Caravel! And thanks for the tip on Chromium as well. I'm going to give it a try. I'm hoping the plug ins I use the most will work in this browser as well (XMarks and RoboForm) as they are helping me make the bridge from the windows world to Linux much easier than expected so far.

I have to say that so far I'm very happy with Mint. Although I do want to try OpenSUSE 12.1. I think the only thing that would keep me from distro hopping is if the distro has or supports Evolution. Evolution is the one other ingredient that is helping me with the transisiton as it is the closest email client in Linux to have the funtionality of M$ Outlook. As long as I can backup Evolution and Restore it in a different distro, I'm a happy man
    It all comes with the lerning curve I guess!

There was no Chrome in the repository for Mint, but as I said, Chromium was there... now I'm going to go play with it.

Thanks for the command line tip too!! I'll take as much of that as I can get

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I believe in Mint it is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    . The first command updates your repos and the second which runs only if the first succeeds (&&) will install chromium
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thanks elija, I wanted to know how to update my packages! It seems I had the latest Chromium though Now If I could only find it to run it... it's not even showing up in a search.... weird.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    That command just installed it on my vanilla mint 12 VM. It appeared under Internet in the menu.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    believe it or not, I had to reboot to get Chromium to show up under Internet. It probably would have happened if I logged out as well, but I'm having other problems like not being able to get VirtualBox to open up and run after install either so I decided to try the tried and true M$ fix and reboot

So now I have Chromium (VERY HAPPY HERE) and my plug-ins work in it (EVEN MORE HAPPY). Now I need to find out how to add it to my preferred applications so Chromium is the preferred browser to open. At this time, the preferred applications page only shows Firefox, Dabian Sensible Browser and Custom... How can I get Chromium to open by default?

Welcome to the forum, and to linux. Glad to have another refuge from M$.
    Registered Linux user #526930