Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a question of Privacy as much as it is Security. It's a known fact that Linux is more secure than other OS's (i.e M$). However I want know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Privacy For The Paranoid Conspiracy Theorist

This is a question of Privacy as much as it is Security. It's a known fact that Linux is more secure than other OS's (i.e M$). However I want know how to be able to go about every day use and keep things as Private as possible.

What are the best steps I can take and the best software that I can use to stop Big Brother outfits from seeing who I am and what I'm up to. To use the internet while leaving as little trace as possible. I want to know things like whats the most private web browser or the most pivate/secure email client, along with what adjustments can I make to my Linux system to ensure no one can track me or access my personal data.

I have nothing to hide, I'm just someone that likes his privacy and is aware of the risks and what is possible for someone to see and find out if they wanted. I want peace of mind that I'm doing everything ion my power to run my system securely and privately.

Two things you can do immediately... Use StartPage for searches and get an offshore email account. I'm with you on this. I've nothing to hide but with the passing of the NDAA I'm more cautious about online security. See this for more.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your input. I'm pleased to hear that I'm not alone. I'm familiar with StartPage. But have never really heard about the off shore emails. My main question with that is how can we know for sure that they are any better than the likes of gmail and not just saying that they're private and secure. I'll consider changing to one of them though. I'm also considering working with a mate to set up our own email server intended for just us and a select few (friends and family).

In the mean time I'd still like some input on software and changes to my Linux system that I can make. I'm currently running LinuxMint, but am happy to change that if needed (will likely re-install any way).

Just Joined!
    Ok so far I've setup thunderbird with Enigmail and GnuPG so that I can send encrypted emails. I'm still on the look out to a alternative email server. Looking for something that is a guaranteed private server and that also has some form of encryption.
    Also looking for ways to secure general web browsing to keep it private.

I'm thinking VPN and/or Proxies. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jonny87; 02-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.

ssl tunnel out of your ISP network to an online server under your control and have that act as an anonymous proxy for you. If the server is under your control, you can do all of this with a combination of ssh and iptables and it'll look like a completely normal request at the endpoint (ie: no HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR headers and so on). Of course, if anyone gets their hands on that server, they'll be able to trace it back to you. Ironically, any further privacy that you might want than that could really only be gained by breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny87 View Post
    My main question with that is how can we know for sure that they are any better than the likes of gmail and not just saying that they're private and secure.
    You can't.

If you need to be certain, then you need to run your own server. Which can be a real pain in the neck to get right. Between authentication, anti-spam, and software updates, that kind of maintenance can take a significant amount of time. And if your internet connection doesn't allow servers (as with most residential ISP contracts) you'll need to purchase hosting from somewhere as well.

Ultimately, the question is whether you consider the expense (in time, money and effort) is worth it to you or not. Free services are great, but you get what you pay for. If you're not paying for the service, then you're the product, not the customer.

A lot of this kind of stuff is brought up in this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...cy-policy.html