Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying. Anyway, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Differences between Linux and Windows Server

I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying. Anyway, I am moving it to a Linux server and I have noticed some differences in the way it handles files. First of all, the Windows Server is not case sensitive. But I also noticed something else. It seems that the Windows Server can have file names with spaces in them like this: "Creative%20Design%20vert_S" where the "%20" is a space. But, when I try to upload this directory to the Linux server using FileZilla it does not seem to work. And then when I try to create the directory, I get an error "Forbidden command argument". So is using %20 in a direcory name illegal in Linux?

It's not illegal to have spaces in filenames in Linux, but the shell and other programs treat spaces as separators between arguments, leading to misunderstandings. You can override this by putting the filename in quotes or by preceding each space with a \ character to make it literal.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com