Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, For years I have been wanting to try Linux and now I have just got around to it. Yes Iam a Wondows user have been for years it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie from the UK saying hello

Hi All,

For years I have been wanting to try Linux and now I have just got around to it.

Yes Iam a Wondows user have been for years it works for me but apparently Linux is better!!!! Thats what everyone keeps telling me so we are about to find out if this is true.

I have a second laptop that has Linux - Mint - Debian 32bit installed and this will be my test subject.

Keep any eye out for me in the forums as I will be posting a few threads for help.

Look forward to chating with you all.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by MathewB007 View Post
    Yes Iam a Wondows user have been for years it works for me but apparently Linux is better!!!! Thats what everyone keeps telling me so we are about to find out if this is true.
    GNU/Linux is what you make it, no more no less, "better" is subjective. If you expect it to be like windows, you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MathewB007 View Post
    I have a second laptop that has Linux - Mint - Debian 32bit installed and this will be my test subject.
    Ensure that the second hand laptop is up to the job. Modern DEs can be almost as bloated as Windows/Mac. If it's a few years old Xfce might be a good idea, if it's even older than that, window managers, such as the 'boxes will give better performance.

Good luck/have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    Ensure that the second hand laptop is up to the job. Modern DEs can be almost as bloated as Windows/Mac. If it's a few years old Xfce might be a good idea, if it's even older than that, window managers, such as the 'boxes will give better performance.

Good luck/have fun.
    Intersting point

Just Joined!
    I hope Linux proves as rewarding for you as it has been for me. I haven't used Windows since 2004 though I do seem to spend a lot of time fixing Windows machines for my neighbors (those I haven't talked into switching to Linux).

Like Caravel said, better is subjective and the mods here don't encourage Windows-bashing. But Linux users do tend to fall in love with Linux, whereas I don't think anyone uses Windows because they love it, not even those who use nothing else.

Three things that are definitely better imho are:
    1) It's safer on the Internet - very important when you get to my age.
    2) You can learn to understand how it works. To me, that is it's greatest charm. And the more you learn, the more powerful you feel.
    3) You can choose which desktop and which apps you are going to use, which is a boon if you use old hardware. Obviously a newbie can't choose what he doesn't know about, but if you're struggling with gnome, say, and someone in a forum recommends openbox as a lightweight alternative, it's easy to install it and try it out.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com