Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
No, this isn't a troll; I'm serious. Most Linux users are enthusiastic about Linux. Often it reaches the level of a love affair if not an addiction. I have heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why do people not love Windows?

No, this isn't a troll; I'm serious. Most Linux users are enthusiastic about Linux. Often it reaches the level of a love affair if not an addiction. I have heard that Mac users are fiercely loyal to their Macs. But Windows does not seem to inspire this sort of loyalty, even though it is still the majority desktop OS.

In my experience, people use Windows for purely practical reasons: it's preinstalled, their hardware works out of the box, it does more or less what they want, and they don't see why they should have to learn something new. Even the trolls who make anti-Linux posts in forums don't give the impression that they are inspired by an active love for Windows.

It can't just be because Windows makes money for Microsoft. The Mac makes money for Apple but no-one seems to resent that. And it's not because Windows is crap software; DOS was worse, but I seem to remember that in those days PC users were quite an enthusiastic bunch.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Well , I as a user got tired of being forced to buy windows and office upgrades for a software that basically does the same since windows 2000, many times over-complicating what use to be simple tasks.

as a support technician got tired of having to reinstall windows every 6 months or so because it get so slow, having to buy new hardware because 3 year old computers could not cope with new windows versions, seeing new versions break many things that finally were working fine in a previous version, having to format a pc because they got infected with virus so easy, it sometimes seemed to me it took me longer to reinstall windows than the time it got infected again.

All of this because we didn't have any viable option, but now we have , and a very decent one for the right price.

(Warning: Car analogy coming) If you had a car that usually breaks down, has expensive spare parts, that you had to buy a new engine for it every 3 years or so, why keep it, because it has automatic transmition and everyone in the road drive it? Well here comes a new car, cheaper, greener, very customizable, you can fix yourself if you want/know how, only it has a stick shift. Should we change? I'd say yes and throw away the other car as far as possible

DOS was still a bad car, but was the first model, we were hoping something better would came along, and then windows came.

Well at least that is how I see it.

I think the reason is because windows is the defacto when you buy a PC today. No one really thinks about what is going on on their system it just works. For Linux users we have to go out of our way to install tweak and fix anything that doesn't work. In doing so we learn how great the system is and the power that it provides us.

As for the MAC, they are still trying to figure out what the second button on the mouse is for.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

At first Windows (Win 95) was enjoyable.
    I was able to customize it and learn many hacks and tricks from it.
    This continued into Win98.
    Next was XP. That meant new hardware. Meanwhile I heard about Red Hat. Started playing with it but got fed up with hardware issues and dependency hell. Went back to Windows.
    Then out came Knoppix. Even though it was a Live Cd, it was fun and very open to customizing.
    Started playing with other distros but stayed with Windows.
    Then came that night that changed my life.

I fired up the pc and found I had a virus. Spent several hours removing it, updating Windows, virus definitions, AdAware, scanning, deleting temp files even though Windows said it already did it. I was mad as a hornet.
    Searched online for something that was Linux based and easy to use. Found Ubuntu.
    Installed it the next night and never looked back.

I loved Ubuntu and Linux. I had full control of my pc again. No longer a slave to Microsoft and them telling me I can't do this or that. Started playing with other distros. My most enjoyable time was when I created several multi-boot Cd's and DVD's that allowed the user to try different distros without installing them.

This could never be done with Windows. Closest I got was to do a XP Cd based on Bart's and MiniPE.
    But these became a hassle once Sata drives became the standard.
    Linux is much more versatile and free. No need to update my hardware every time a new release comes out.
    No viruses or malware. No need to reload it every few months because it gets clogged up with junk and old files.

Unfortunately many people think that a computer needs Windows to run a pc or don't know they have a choice.
    If hardware support for Linux was better then I would think more users would migrate to Linux.
    But that would mean the manufacturers would have to develop drivers for their products and they would also see a decline in sales because Linux doesn't need bleeding edge hardware to run the newest Linux distros.
    But I digress.......

I only love my scooters,wife,kids and pets. Depends on my mood on what order they are in.

I use Windows because I have to. I use Linux because I learned how.
    My Antiquated Linux Boxes are faster than my Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5534 Laptop .I run Racy Puppy 5.2 off of SD flash when I don't tune bikes with it. Update this and that. Virus blocker loading, etc........

Taz brings up good points also. I have used his multi boot dvd isos and had fun with em. Still got em Taz.

But then. I'm the type to take a new machine and customize/chop it to my druthers.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I would have to disagree with you and say that probably the reason you don't find people are loyal to Windows like they are to Mac or Linux is because your not in that crowd and don't have people that are veraciously Windows loyalists. They are the group that tend to stick to the Windows forums or Microsoft forums.

The point is that there are those who are Windows loyalists, but they are more a general group, unlike Mac which is more an elitist group,in a Corporation belief sense.

Mac has to be run on mac hardware and software thus the only way you can truly be apart of that group is by owning a mac. (I didn't include a Hackintosh because they aren't endorsed by Apple, and the only way they can receive help or software update is from open-source or within the Hackintosh community, so therefore they fall out of that elitist Mac group.)

While Windows can be run on anything and everything so the people that love Windows like it because like all the others think it is better. Because it has the most widest support in terms of software, the user interface is a genius design unlike the current generation of Linux GUI's bar a few like XFCE and Enlightenment, and on top has a huge support for most if not all games. It has one of the best Office suits money can buy; though i think LibreOffice isn't far behind for an open source Office suit.

I don't need to explain Linux and why you are fan because everyone here knows why they don't use Mac or Windows at all or as there primary OS for one reason or another.

I myself don't hate Windows (except Vista: A could run over that version a billion times in my car and it wouldn't satisfy my lust for vengeance for how many times it has screwed me around), I think Bill Gates is a genius, I absolutely love the new Windows 8 if there has been any Windows that has caught my attention and made me a fan it is Windows 8, the new metro interface combined with desktop is simply kool, i know people think you shouldn't mix up interfaces like that, But the idea of an all-in-one is just unique.
    I don't hate mac either but hate there restrictive licensing and the idea that they have to it so controlled. If they had an open-source version or a version that wasn't restricted i would run it as well as Linux and Windows.
    I love Linux because it was simply me trying out a new OS as i got bored of Windows, but got attached to the whole customization and do it yourself system. I am also fascinated by the whole *NIX tree especially System V. Not to mention i found i generally agree with most of the open-source ideals
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-02-2012 at 12:51 AM.

For me, the disenchantment with windows was due to the need to replace it every few years with a new version. You couldn't upgrade the version you had purchased, you couldn't transfer it, legally, to another machine, and just when the bugs got worked out of a version, they would stop supporting it and demand that you buy the next buggy version. Yes, linux comes out with new versions, but they are at no cost to the user. Don't like the new version, stay with the old for several years. If your distro suddenly upgrades to features you just can't stand, pick a new distro. If you want to make a copy of your OS and put it on another machine you own, it's legal. Buy a new machine and want to transfer your OS to the new machine, you don't have to call, spend hours on the phone convincing someone you aren't pirating the software, you are transferring your legally purchased software. Change a couple of components, and you don't have to prove you aren't a pirate before the OS will work. Damage or lose your install disk, go to another computer and download a new one. Want additional software, go to the repository and get it, free.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Windows definitely has it's fanboys, a most piteous breed, but they are a minority of the entire windows user base - but there are probably still more of them than there are serious GNU/Linux users.

Personally I dislike windows, microsoft, Bill Gates, Ballmer, as with apple, the late Steve Jobs and everything they stood for - proprietary, closed source crap which aims to keep the end user paying out and on a short leash - doing things the MS/Apple way. None of those men were geniuses. They are/were merely hard nosed business men who were in the right place at the right time. If you want geniuses then look no further than the late Dennis Ritchie (though I doubt Ritchie would have wanted himself to be thought of as a "genius").

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    It has one of the best Office suits money can buy; though i think LibreOffice isn't far behind for an open source Office suit.
    I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Apparently Excel is pretty good (I never used it, so do not know.), but MS Word is terrible garbage. The reason I decided to try GNU-Linux, is because I got fed up with the frustration of trying to use word. And I have never looked back.

As for the original question, I would say the lack, or apparent lack, of enthusiasm for MS is due to the fact that most people believe it is the only OS and is the only thing they have ever used. For them, if the computer does not work properly or is constantly infected with viruses, they are frustrated but live with it, believing there is no alternative.

caravel
    Personally I dislike windows, microsoft, Bill Gates, Ballmer, as with apple, the late Steve Jobs and everything they stood for - proprietary, closed source crap which aims to keep the end user paying out and on a short leash - doing things the MS/Apple way. None of those men were geniuses. They are/were merely hard nosed business men who were in the right place at the right time.
    Is that you hate them, hate them (like a personal hate)? or
    Hate because they have made very successful multi-billion dollar corporations? or
    Hate their ideal?

They are all very different reasons. It may be a stupid question but worth clarifying lol

I disagree with your last sentence. You gotta know how it works in order for it to make money (whatever area it is). So in that respect they do deserve some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Apparently Excel is pretty good (I never used it, so do not know.), but MS Word is terrible garbage. The reason I decided to try GNU-Linux, is because I got fed up with the frustration of trying to use word. And I have never looked back.
    I know i said it was the best money can buy but i am only referring to the 2010 edition which i believe is a big improvement compared to the last one. However on that same token, being the best for your buck doesn't imply its perfect or without issues, Because that simply isn't true.
    Its simply a statement that if i was to buy an Office Suite it would be MS Office over the others out there (if any others exist apart from the open-source ones?).
    Note: I am only referring to Office suits that cost money, Libreoffice or Openoffice are not included for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    As for the original question, I would say the lack, or apparent lack, of enthusiasm for MS is due to the fact that most people believe it is the only OS and is the only thing they have ever used. For them, if the computer does not work properly or is constantly infected with viruses, they are frustrated but live with it, believing there is no alternative.
    I would have to agree entirely with that. Although there are those that know about Linux and Mac, yet get frustrated with Windows and still keep using it because they have the opinion open-source is worse. When in actual fact it in most cases is better. Its less buggy and a lot harder to sabotage simply because it is open-source and anyone can edit or review it. So if one guy decides to enter malicious code the next guy that finds will just remove it. There is none of this waiting for a security patch from the company.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast