Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The email said introduce yourself here, so here i am. I've used windows all my life, but im building my frist pc and when i saw the price tag on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Whats up?

The email said introduce yourself here, so here i am. I've used windows all my life, but im building my frist pc and when i saw the price tag on windows i was like "do really expect me to pay that!?!" as i read more ive been getting more intersted, and when the parts get here and i put it together im going to load linux on it (not sure what distro) and may need some help.

Hello... and a big Welcome!

New build, huh? Lookin' for the right OS to put on it?
    Groovy...

New to Linux... I would advise Mint. You'll have access to everything you need for your learning curve.
    After that, you could look to Debian, Slackware or even CRUX and Gentoo.

Have fun with it, and find your own way!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks! Althou I am ditching microsoft cause i couldnt afford it, ive always hated the ms overlord thing and consider myself open to alternitives to anything. One thing i dont like is the short support time. Considering using a long term support edition. I heard that linux mint debian edition (is the only diffence the available packages?) has a rolling release. Does this mean i never have to reinstall? Ive also heard that debian has the biggest selection of software. If the linux mint debian edition has this, might it be better? I tend to have more software the I need, took me days to set up my last windows pc.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Welcome to the forum. Like you, I first came to linux because I refused to pay for a new copy of Windows when my install disk became scratched. Mint would be a good choice to begin with, but go to distrowatch.com and check out the 600 plus distro's they have available. You can do a search for beginner/type of cpu architecture/ based on, or many other criteria. When you run into a problem or question, google is your friend, and the members of the forum are quite knowledgeable and willing to help.
    Registered Linux user #526930

You will get heaps of linux distro suggestions from everyone here, so i am going to be a rebel and advise you to go to "Distrowatch.com" and find the one you like the look of and suits your needs.

Just remember some of them will be harder to install and require more work in configuring than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JLloyd137 View Post
    I heard that linux mint debian edition (is the only diffence the available packages?) has a rolling release. Does this mean i never have to reinstall? Ive also heard that debian has the biggest selection of software. If the linux mint debian edition has this, might it be better?
    Mint is based on Debian. I forget if it is Debian Unstable or Testing. They throw in a few of their own packages and modify a few of Debian's. I have neither used nor seen Mint, but from what I have read on various fora, most of Debian's 30,000 packages are available.

Never have to re-install? If using Debian Stable, the answer is no. Rock solid. If using Mint?

I do not believe Mint is a true rolling release. If it was, it would be prone to bugs and breakage like Arch. (Which is a good system for those with the aptitude to use it. I do not.) I believe Mint is similar to Ubuntu, its mother, with short periods between new releases.

As others have said, Distro Watch has much information. Just be careful to sift propaganda from information. Translation: read carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Mint is based on Debian.
    Mint is based on 'buntu, LMDE is based on Debian.

I forget if it is Debian Unstable or Testing.
    LMDE is based on the testing branch I believe.

I do not believe Mint is a true rolling release. If it was, it would be prone to bugs and breakage like Arch. (Which is a good system for those with the aptitude to use it. I do not.
    LMDE is not a rolling release, as Debian testing or unstable are not true rolling releases.

I believe Mint is similar to Ubuntu, its mother, with short periods between new releases.
    I think the 'buntu based Mint is based on the 'buntu releases - i.e. when 'buntu make a release, Mint follow that about a month later...

My bad. When I wrote Mint is based on Debian, I was thinking Mint Debian Edition, but in a brain-dead moment accidentally typed Mint. (Thanks for pointing out the error.)

In the future I shall endeavour to type slower.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    LMDE is ultimately based off Debian Testing although it has it's own "incoming" repository in the middle which aims to release tested updates and thus reduce breakages due to the testing nature of the base distro. It is a rolling release in that you should never need to re-install.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    LMDE is ultimately based off Debian Testing although it has it's own "incoming" repository in the middle which aims to release tested updates and thus reduce breakages due to the testing nature of the base distro.
    I'm afraid that's not strictly true. As far as I'm aware LMDE has "latest" and "incoming" repos - this is for the Mint specific stuff (and the packages they port from 'buntu, etc). It does not serve to reduce breakage in testing. Debian testing is well known to be much more stable than either 'buntu, Mint or LMDE - it's 'buntu and Mint introducing breakage, not vice versa...

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It is a rolling release in that you should never need to re-install.
    That's true in a sense, as with Debian testing or unstable, but it's still not a true rolling release (like Arch). The Debian release cycle does not permit a rolling release (which is a good thing).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast