Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently discovered Salix OS; completely by accident and it is great! Based off Slackware, it seems to be a good halfway house between the manual world of it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Salix OS

I have recently discovered Salix OS; completely by accident and it is great! Based off Slackware, it seems to be a good halfway house between the manual world of it's parent and the automated world of Ubuntu.

Despite being tempted by the Ratpoison edition, I went for my old favourite the XFCE edition which is now installed on my brand new Samsung lappy (this one). Everything works fine and I'm thinking that it should go on to my main computer.

Will I stick with it? I haven't with anything else so we'll see

Any one else tried this distro?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I've never tried it but do like Slackware, and I like the way they've setup their website to be clean and simple. Their dedicated forum and wiki seem to be shaping up nicely as well. While I don't spend much time in other distros these days, this one looks to be worthy of checking out. If I do try it, the Xfce edition will most likely me my choice as well.
    oz

My "Linux mentor" tried SalixOS 13.1 and absolutely loved it. But the "more newbie friendly version" (because it has an auto-compiler with an easy GUI) which came out recently (13.7) refused to install. It was nice in the LiveCD though. I like the "one application per task" idea, but that can be done in any distro I think.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Just for info. How some contributing well know Slackware Developers look on Salix.

Salix live can't boot

I was kinda shocked myself and then remembered how biker clubs and other clicks look at each other.
    People never change I guess since caveman days.

I'm a newbie but I do know the difference between an "installation disk" and a LiveCD. The LiveCD presents a nice pretty screen once it boots up, but the mouse and keyboard were frozen and no input accepted. Salix 13.1 booted into a fully functional, elegant Xfce desktop and worked "out of the box" very nicely. But the 13.7 just locked up instantly once it booted into that cool looking desktop. It's too bad because my "Linux mentor" had it in mind for me "in case Xubuntu gets too heavy for this old machine."