Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I've switched to DuckDuckGo for my primary search tool, but it isn't as complete as Google. Sometimes when I can't find what I want, I try Google instead and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I've switched to DuckDuckGo for my primary search tool, but it isn't as complete as Google. Sometimes when I can't find what I want, I try Google instead and it comes up with it.

Email is more of a problem. I used to use Yahoo; then they stopped allowing POP3 access, so I gradually migrated to googlemail. It took a lot of work; frankly I just haven't got the energy to migrate again.

At least, they can't make any cross-references between my email, facebook and twitter accounts because I'm not on facebook or twitter.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

In the firefox address bar enter "about:config" without the quotes and enter "geo." (note the dot) in the filter box.

This should narrow it down to geo.enabled and geo.wifi.uri. Change the first to false and the second one to "localhost" (just in case).

Next enter "safebrows" in the filter box. This will give you quite a few, the ones you're interested in are:

browser.safebrowsing.enabled
    browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled

Set both of those to false (they are google referers).

Be aware that a lot of google stuff is lurking in otherwise innocent web pages. googleadservices, googleanalytics, googleapis, etc are everywhere these days. Being in control of cookies (use the "ask me every time setting and then update the white list as you go along) and using firefox add-ons like noscript and ghostery help tremendously with this.

*edit*

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Email is more of a problem. I used to use Yahoo; then they stopped allowing POP3 access, so I gradually migrated to googlemail. It took a lot of work; frankly I just haven't got the energy to migrate again.
    There's a decent thread on the subject at the debian forums: http://www.debianuserforums.org/view...hp?f=10&t=1217

I use lavabit - it's only suitable for email clients, there is a webmail front end but it's limited. You handle your own spam filtering and it's featureless (no contacts lists, not even a "forgot password" feature). Like yourself I did bite the bullet and use gmail for a while, but decided to completely get rid of the only google service I had left a few months ago.
    Last edited by cynwulf; 03-07-2012 at 04:08 PM.

I was just looking through the about:config o my Firefox 10.0.2 and did a search on Google.
    There are a lot of Webofturst (WOT) references in there with Google attached to them.
    Is WOT a Google product?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you considered startpage (link). It's powered by Google and is certified as private by various bodies including the EU.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Have you considered startpage?
    Yes, I am currently giving it, ixquick, and duckduckgo a try.
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

oz
    forum.guy
    I generally use ixquick, startpage, or scroogle, but have never cared much for the search results provided by duckgo.
    oz

DuckDuckGo is very good. I used it exclusively, until it disappeared from the internet. (I live in China, so the government probably banned DuckDuckGo for having a Tor relay.) I do not know how much better Yahoo is than Google, but it definitely is not as bad.

I think FB is very similar to Google. I was thinking about suing FB because of the images of me added by other persons. Is there any law in the States which would make FB disabled to use my pictures without my consent?
    What if I am not even registered to FB? Who is giving the right to such companies to use anybody' data?
    It is so disgusting!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well, it could be argued that FB are using the data of the person who uploaded the pictures. That data just happens to contain a picture of you. If you knew the picture was being taken then I guess you gave consent. Additionally in the UK, if you are in a public place anybody can legally take your picture.

You could ask FB to remove the pictures but I would bet they would say "No. Take it up with the person who uploaded them".

Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer so could be completely wrong.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Startpage looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast