Find the answer to your Linux question:
What do you think of the idea of selling flash drives already prepared to boot Puppy Linux on PCs? (I still need to see if I can boot on Macs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Idea: selling Puppy Linux flash drives

What do you think of the idea of selling flash drives already prepared to boot Puppy Linux on PCs? (I still need to see if I can boot on Macs using online instructions I've found.) I know it's not too hard to prep your own flash drive, even if you have to buy one first, but just think about why this could be marketable.

First of all, advantages of booting from a flash drive include extreme portability for your "computer", having as many "computer" setups as your flash drive can store, non-invasive and (mostly) no-hassle dual-booting, longer memory lifetime compared to live cd, ability to boot on a computer without a cd drive, and ability to run on a computer whose main operating system has crashed or is ruined (or not installed).

Second of all, reasons why Puppy seems to me to be the optimal live usb distro include wide hardware compatibility, ability to run completely in 128MB or less of RAM (making old computers or ones without functioning hard drives usable, and any computer run faster, quieter, and cooler), its completeness yet user-friendliness, and the ease and depth of extensibility and community support (unlike other distros that run RAM-only from a flash drive, and even compares with major distros like Ubuntu).

As to why one might want a flash drive already prepped, there are many variants of Puppy Linux built for different purposes, and many different ways to format flash drives. And puppy drives wouldn't just be for people who are already informed and curious but scared to prep a flash drive themselves. Even though I can prep my own quite easily now, I had trouble at first. These could make great gifts, or save time otherwise spent prepping. Selling Puppy drives could also be a service, where one preps it how the customer wants it.

Maybe I'm just gushing about Puppy Linux on live usb, which I've recently been experimenting with and coincidentally had two genuine needs for already, but I still think this is an interesting idea. What do you think? Would there be a market? Also, SD card+reader vs. plain usb flash drive?

One problem that I can foresee is that a lot of old computers (the sort that could really benefit from a small distro like Puppy) won't boot from a usb drive.

On the other hand, it sounds ideal for older people who are given a computer with Windows on it (or buy one second-hand) but are afraid to go on the Internet because they've heard so much about viruses. Just give them a pen drive and tell them: "Plug this in at the back and switch on your computer, and you can go on the Internet safely. And it won't actually change anything on your computer."
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    Yeah, sadly cd drives have been around longer than usbs, so I suppose it would make more sense to focus on live cds too. On the other hand, cds are cheaper than flash drives, right? Also, the buttons that one would have to press depends on the computer, so instructions for computer illiterates wouldn't be as simple as that.

2005 thread with same idea

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Propose to sell USB pen drives with Puppy on them

One release you may consider using

MiniPup

One problem that I can foresee is that a lot of old computers (the sort that could really benefit from a small distro like Puppy) won't boot from a usb drive.
    I have successfully managed making and using PLOP floppy disks for installing Puppy and AntiX for older non usb bios laptops using the PLOP floppy as the boot loader for usb 1.1.

Plop - Home

A CD or Floppy can be made and used as a boot manager for USB boot on older bioses for older gear. One needs to learn how to make the cd or floppy first. Then include written instructions with pictures with the USB and CD or Floppy included so the computer illiterate can understand easily.

Also. Written instructions with pictures for installing Puppy side by side with windows or by itself should be included also with grub legacy and grub4dos how tos withrying pictures also for a project like this to be successful.

There are so many ways to install Puppy Linux. Even inside a Windows Partition. That a lot of research and documentation will be needed if trying to meet a mass audience Puppy Linux Community - Home. Other wise. I see this as just another, "flash in the pan" kind of idea.

I run

Code:
    # inxi -z -F
    System:    Host: puppypc2751 Kernel: 3.0.7 i686 (32 bit) 
               Desktop: JWM sn-505 Distro: Racy Puppy Linux
    Linux 3.0.7 [i686 arch]
    Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10
               Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10 Bios: Acer version: V1.10 date: 08/26/2009
    CPU:       Dual core (AMD Athlon X2 L310,1196.822,512 KB,fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv,2394.37,amd) (-MCP-) cache: unknown  flags: (-) 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1196.822 MHz 2: 1196.822 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] 
               X.org: 1.11.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 79x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
    Audio:     Card: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: HDA Intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
    Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: (254.1GB,1.1% used) () 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK2555GS 250.1GB 
               2: /dev/sdb SanDisk_Cruzer 4.1GB 
    Partition: 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 68.0C mobo: 0.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 81 Uptime: 42 min Memory: 273.9/3796.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.30
    on a 4gig pendrive with a personal save file and the ability to run puppy=pfixram mode also on other computers so my save file won't load.
    Good Luck with your idea. Puppy Linux is chaotic in how the community is organized and packages are available and documentation is done at
    best. I enjoy using the distro how ever and am experienced using it. Took awhile though for a computer illiterate biker like me to learn the quirks and differences. I'd keep your pendrive idea as simple as possible. Not too many applications or complicated stuff a Windows user would not use.

Maybe offer different stages of Puppy Linux also fro Browser Linux to one I keep a eye on also (pretty complicated updated release)
    PuppEX LiveCD
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Wow, this is a can of worms, then. Now I'm not so interested... Good to know there are so many options, but I'm a noob myself.

Just Joined!
    LOL I had the exact same idea a little while ago. CD's might work but then what is stopping anyone from just doing the same. Anyway another idea I had was preloading some packages already on the OS like Libre and chromium. Anyone know if this is possible on a live cd? or only on a flash drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sudo_smith View Post
    LOL I had the exact same idea a little while ago. CD's might work but then what is stopping anyone from just doing the same. Anyway another idea I had was preloading some packages already on the OS like Libre and chromium. Anyone know if this is possible on a live cd? or only on a flash drive.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View Forum - Multi-session live-CD/DVD
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Mr. Mormon
    The Live-CD is a good option. Available from OSdisc.com for $3.
    Live-CD for Puppy Linux has option for a 'frugal' install to HardDisk.
    Bullet Proof Security via the Live-CD running in RAM.
    Puppy Linux loads from Squash Files for the ultimate in security.

Check out the Puppy Linux forum.
    "PuppyLinux.com" is a great place to start.
    Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys !