Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 Hmmmm.... Well, maybe it's just a common problem for me, which means common user, which means user error. It just seems like every 3-7 months, my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Hmmmm.... Well, maybe it's just a common problem for me, which means common user, which means user error. It just seems like every 3-7 months, my Linux installs slow down significantly, firefox (or chrome on some installs) slows down, certain websites stop working as well (e.g., facebook, nhl.com, mlb.com, etc), the GUI becomes more glitchy, and I encounter more problems with package manager telling me packages are broken and can't be installed. I've had many posts on here about this happening numerous times, include my serious TLFU (Total Linux F*** Up) back in 2008 with PCLOS 2008 MiniMe. Some of the lifers on here helped me with many of them and probably remember what I am talking about. I even took a something-like-20-month-hiatus from linux altogether after Kubuntu 8.04 went derp derp three summers ago. That's why this time I thought I'd try asking if anyone knew any good articles about Linux installs always breaking over time because maybe there would be some good tips on there about what users do to contribute to those and I'd learn more about Linux. Rather than continually wasting everybody's time on here with my redundant verbal frustrations over the same problems (this is the reason I never asked for help on my kubuntu install that rotted. I just felt horrible that I had to come ask for help over the same crap every now and then). And people like Dapper and Jonathon can tell you, I am not an idiot with computers. I build them, built my own file server, etc. Oh well. Thanks, anyways, guys. Linux rocks! I won't give up on it.
    Do you clean out your Linux system, like using removing unused packages, cleaning the temp files, etc... they may contribute. I would look at every component of your system and eliminate the possibilities. Dual-Booting? New Disk? New RAM? even try a different filesystem etc... Doesn't have to be new, maybe just take out the existing and put em' back in.

But in all honesty not taking the jiffy out of you or anything, but i have never seen a system suffering system rot. Most of the systems i have seen that are having errors are Windows Vista and 5+ year old computers. Which for latter often just requires a compenent upgrade, new and more RAM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You use KDE don't you? I wonder if it's a KDE thing rather than a Linux thing. I've run Gnome 2, XFCE, openbox and a few others but never really KDE excepting to have a look to see if I like it yet.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    This is a bleeding edge might break at any time use at your own risk distro.

I thought Fedora was somewhat stable. Perhaps that explains why I could not get my printer working when I tried Fedora. Many people were have problems with printer driver bugs at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by elija
    You use KDE don't you?
    I used to and still prefer it, but I've been using gnome on Mint 11 and now 12 for a few months. I wondered the same thing you did.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Do you clean out your Linux system, like using removing unused packages, cleaning the temp files, etc... they may contribute.
    No. hahaha... so I startpaged some linux cleaning ideas and found this page. I did steps 1-5, but skipped 6-8. I also used Synaptic to upgrade any packages and install Startup Manager. I'll be sure to let you all know how the system seems to be doing in a few days. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 12
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 5400+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post

I thought Fedora was somewhat stable. Perhaps that explains why I could not get my printer working when I tried Fedora. Many people were have problems with printer driver bugs at that time.
    Don't get me wrong. Fedora is stable enough. I ran Fedora quite happily through several releases.
    But it does tend to lean towards the bleeding-edge when it comes to included features.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2