Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was just wondering if anybody knows any good articles that explain and/or help with the common issue of linux installs slowly breaking over time until they become significantly less ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Articles regarding linux installs

I was just wondering if anybody knows any good articles that explain and/or help with the common issue of linux installs slowly breaking over time until they become significantly less functional over a 3-6 month period; to the point of typically requiring a fresh reinstall or image restore. Thanks in advance. Skittle out.
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

Common issue?
    I only remember ever seeing one post mentioning such a thing. This person's Ubuntu slowed down after a few months and was looking for advice about changing distributions.

I installed my Ubuntu 10.04 the day it was released, and have never had to reinstall, only update.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Was that a typo which should have read
    the common issue of windows installs slowly breaking
    as I'm another one who hasn't experienced such a thing in the Linux world.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Same here.
    What you're describing sounds like system rot, and I've never had that happen with Linux.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    I was just wondering if anybody knows any good articles that explain and/or help with the common issue of linux installs slowly breaking over time until they become significantly less functional over a 3-6 month period; to the point of typically requiring a fresh reinstall or image restore. Thanks in advance. Skittle out.
    Add me to the list of those who have never encountered this "common issue"...

I ran Fedora 8 for way longer than I would advise a new user to do so.
    I think Fedora 15 was out when I finally wiped it. I ran it for that long because I had one game running in Wine, and it ran smooth.
    When I finally found an up-to-date distro that ran it just as smooth, I switched.
    That means I had Fedora 8 up-and-running for about 3 years without a reinstall. No available updates for close to half of that. No problems or slowdowns for the entirety of it.
    This is a bleeding edge might break at any time use at your own risk distro.

What is the common issue?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You can add me to this list to of never having this common issue.

I would check your hardware and if it's old or had issues consider buying new hardware. Alternatively get another computer u own and see if it occurs on that.

@jayd: fedora 8 was awesome, amazed you kept it so long. Although you have had kernel upgrades. I still have fedora 14 iso

Hmmmm.... Well, maybe it's just a common problem for me, which means common user, which means user error. It just seems like every 3-7 months, my Linux installs slow down significantly, firefox (or chrome on some installs) slows down, certain websites stop working as well (e.g., facebook, nhl.com, mlb.com, etc), the GUI becomes more glitchy, and I encounter more problems with package manager telling me packages are broken and can't be installed. I've had many posts on here about this happening numerous times, include my serious TLFU (Total Linux F*** Up) back in 2008 with PCLOS 2008 MiniMe. Some of the lifers on here helped me with many of them and probably remember what I am talking about. I even took a something-like-20-month-hiatus from linux altogether after Kubuntu 8.04 went derp derp three summers ago. That's why this time I thought I'd try asking if anyone knew any good articles about Linux installs always breaking over time because maybe there would be some good tips on there about what users do to contribute to those and I'd learn more about Linux. Rather than continually wasting everybody's time on here with my redundant verbal frustrations over the same problems (this is the reason I never asked for help on my kubuntu install that rotted. I just felt horrible that I had to come ask for help over the same crap every now and then). And people like Dapper and Jonathon can tell you, I am not an idiot with computers. I build them, built my own file server, etc. Oh well. Thanks, anyways, guys. Linux rocks! I won't give up on it.
    Last edited by SkittleLinux18; 03-17-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: missed words; added sentence
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

The errors I've had with Ubuntu 10.04 were all Id ten T errors caused by something I did, something I removed which broke a dependency, or something I changed without understandin/thinking it through. As long as I use synaptic to add and remove packages, everything runs smooth.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast