Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since the welcome message suggested I introduce myself here, I will. I've been developing computer software for most of my life. I started in the seventh grade (which would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Hi, everybody!

Since the welcome message suggested I introduce myself here, I will.

I've been developing computer software for most of my life. I started in the seventh grade (which would be about 1981) writing software for Apple II and TRS-80 computers in BASIC.

Since then, I've gotten a BS and MS in computer science (NJIT, 1991 and 1993, respectively) and have made a nice career in software development. I've written applications for DOS, Windows (many flavors), OS/2, Mac OS X and many different Unices (including Ultrix, SunOS, Solaris and Linux.) My preferred environment is still OS/2, but since that's not practical these days, I use Macs when I have a choice.

Today, I am working for a manufacturer of datacom/telecom equipment. We use Windows for our business apps, and our developed software targets Linux. Typically, this is Wind River Linux embedded in our various hardware products, but also involves many other distributions. We use some combination of Red Hat, Ubuntu, Suse and Fedora as our development and simulation-test platforms.

My main purpose for signing up here is to ask some hard questions about the kernel that I haven't yet been able to figure out on my own and hopefully get some answers from people who know more than me. Although I don't have a lot of time to read forums, I intend on reading and helping others where I can, since that is what makes a forum like this work.

Welcome, from a fellow Virginian. You're in one of the right places here. I'm a generalist, with long experience but don't have in-depth expertise on kernel internals. But there are guys here who awe me. Ask away. Try to find the appropriate sub-forum for each question, it will improve your results.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.
    Registered Linux user #526930