Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elija
Hi everyone, I am doing a project and presentation in school in a couple weeks about Linux and many different distros. I need some interviews for the project so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined! jreidsma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    93

    Need interviews for school project about Linux.


    Hi everyone,
    I am doing a project and presentation in school in a couple weeks about Linux and many different distros. I need some interviews for the project so I figured this was the place to go.

    This is not an essay, it is a online prezi presentation. So the interview will be available online. I can either use your name if you want, or just your username on here.

    Here are the questions:

    When did you start using Linux?
    Why did you start using it?
    How did you use Linux at first?
    How do you use it now?
    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    And then feel free to say anything else you would like. Any info given will be used and appreciated greatly.

    And also, feel free to post screenshots of your computers if you like I might be able to use this also. But only school friendly ones
    Thanks, and hope everyone is having a nice day

  2. #2
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    Here are the questions:

    When did you start using Linux?
    Why did you start using it?
    How did you use Linux at first?
    How do you use it now?
    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    First started using Linux around the end of the year, back in 1999.

    Started using Linux to free myself from Windows and to see what open source software was about.

    Used Linux as a desktop replacement for Windows, but dual-booted between Windows and Linux for a while.

    Still using Linux as a desktop OS, but I no longer dual-boot because Windows was removed about 5 or 6 years ago.

    My experiences with Linux have been about 98% positive. The 2% that has not been positive has generally been hardware drivers related.
    oz

  3. #3
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    Here are the questions:

    When did you start using Linux?
    Why did you start using it?
    How did you use Linux at first?
    How do you use it now?
    I started using Linux sometime in 2006.
    Started using Linux partly out of curiosity, as I had never heard of it until then.
    I used it as a desktop system, dual-booting for a little while.
    I still use it as my desktop OS. No longer dual-booting. Removed Windows in 2007.
    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    As far as the last question, are you asking for our experiences? Or our experience level?

    I'm not an expert, but I consider myself a moderately advanced user.
    I've had mostly good experiences. The main problems that I've run into were of my own making, either because I didn't read the documentation or because I goofed on configuration.

    If you're wanting a screenshot, here ya go.
    Attachment 4163
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  4. #4
    Linux Engineer hazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Harrow, UK
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    When did you start using Linux?
    Why did you start using it?
    How did you use Linux at first?
    How do you use it now?
    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    I started using Linux about five years ago. I was "volunteered" for it by my local computer club; we were all Windows users, but we thought someone ought to try out Linux and see what it was like. I fell in love with it and have never looked back.

    I love Linux because I can understand how it works (no-one is allowed to understand how Windows works), because it encourages me constantly to learn new things, because it runs well even on my old machine (and I'm darned if I can see why I should buy a new one just to deal with bloated software), and because it allows me to feel safe on the internet.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

  5. #5
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,601
    I first looked at Linux about 10 years ago but didn't start to seriously use it until 2006. That was the last time I had a Windows machine in my house that wasn't only visiting or yet to be formatted I'd heard about this operating system and was very curious so I had to try it.

    Mostly I use Linux for day to day computing including Internet, office and yes I program; PHP for a living and other languages for fun. Coding in PHP also means I have various servers on the go.

    My experience with Linux has been mostly good. Too smooth in fact to have become an expert even after all these years. I would consider myself no more than intermediate; either that or some kind of Linux god who instinctively avoids all problems. Probably the former!

    The philosophy behind open source in general was a real eye opener for me. All these incredibly talented people giving their hard work away purely to see what someone else can do with it, to make it better and help it grow. Amazing. Especially when contrasted with the grasping ways of the proprietary software companies. I have tried many different flavours of Linux and BSD but somehow always seem to end up back on Xubuntu. It just works (mostly) and has fairly up to date software and is nicely automated which means it's the other kind of simple than Hazel loves.
    jayd512 likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

    Grandpa Simpson



    The Fifth Continent

  6. #6
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Too smooth in fact to have become an expert even after all these years. I would consider myself no more than intermediate; either that or some kind of Linux god who instinctively avoids all problems. Probably the former!
    I love it!
    Mark me down as part of the same group!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  7. #7
    Just Joined! Randicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    74
    When did you start using Linux?
    Fewer than four years ago.

    Why did you start using it?
    I got fed up with Microsoft's poor performance, especially with the word processor. I was compiling, editing and printing books, and Microsoft was unable to handle large documents. So I gave Linux a try and have never looked back.

    How did you use Linux at first?
    Generally, I just used the applications as is, since I knew nothing about computers.

    How do you use it now?
    I now customise my system by using an alternate window manger, edit configuration files and install applications I did not understand at first.

    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    I am not sure about the meaning of the question. If it means experience level, I would classify myself as lower intermediate. If it means good or bad, my experience has been very good.
    Screenshot - 040312 - 21:04:38.jpg
    Screenshot - 040312 - 13:36:33.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Just Joined! jreidsma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    93
    Thanks everyone

    I will use all the interviews on this page and any pictures you all posted thanks again!

  9. #9
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    1. When did you start using Linux?
    2. Why did you start using it?
    3. How did you use Linux at first?
    4. How do you use it now?
    5. What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    1. In the late 90's.
    2. We needed a tool to be a router and enable us to inject network errors for testing our enterprise software.
    3. As a router, and using tools provided to inject errors into a test network to evaluate how well we dealt with such things.
    4. As a laptop, workstation, and server operating system.
    5. Generally, very good. In my experience, it is about 1000x more stable and immune to attack than Microsoft operating systems.

    As an aside, I am a senior systems engineer for a tier-one mobile phone manufacturer, working as the senior performance engineer for our mobile phone browsers and the infrastructure to support that. All of our servers (1000's of systems) run some form of Red Hat Linux. Our latest systems are running RHEL 6.2, to support a user base of millions. If you want to come work for us, you need to be an experienced engineer in developing/managing large-scale, distributed systems running Unix and/or Linux, and we do have a large number of open positions!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  10. #10
    Just Joined! Sidekick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    51
    When did you start using Linux?
    I watched my friend's exploration of Linux, but always had better things to do. Now I've inherited his old computer and I'm exploring on my own. I'm a newbie! Since about January of this year.

    Why did you start using it?
    It was already on this computer. And it was effortless, simple, elegant, and fast. I saw no reason to change anything.

    How did you use Linux at first?
    Internet stuff, school stuff, music stuff.

    How do you use it now?
    As above.

    What experience would you say you have with Linux?
    My "Linux lessons" didn't stick very well I'm afraid. I was more interested in school and dance. But now I'm writing down everything I do and everything I change so I know where to look if things get messed up. So far so good!

    Good luck with this project! It sounds great. Once it's all presented and graded, you should publish it here as an article so we can all enjoy it and learn from it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •