Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Windows Linux...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows

Linux
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 16 KDE
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

A bit higher than what I experience, but it looks like they are both using around 300 MB or so.
    Linux = 320,604 K = 313 MB
    Windows = 372,768 K = 364 MB
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    On Windows Firefox heads up to 2GB+ memory usage which never happened on my Linux box. Takes a few days to get there and I'm sure that it is the Firebug extension causing the majority of it. It doesn't seem to to the same thing on Linux. Maybe that's because I suspend it overnight and that does something to the memory?

I've used and liked Seamonkey before but keep heading back to Firefox and Thunderbird but maybe not this time as I'm fed up with all the unnecessary cruft they are packing in. My system can easily handle Firefox and Thunderbird as it's a 16GB Quad core i5 monster but still...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've used and liked Seamonkey before but keep heading back to Firefox
    Same here, and I ran Seamonkey exclusively for about a year right after it first came out, but I'm giving it another test run at the moment.

Immediately, it feels a little slower than Firefox does on my machine, and it apparently isn't compatible with a couple of my favorite (possibly "must have") extensions. It also lacks some of the simple conveniences that I've grown very fond of with Firefox, and it comes with a few minor annoyances. Still, I'm going to stick with it for a while to see if I can adapt to it.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    ...Seamonkey... comes with a few minor annoyances.
    I installed it on Mint via package manager and it spontaneously quits after about 15-30 seconds of use. So after the 3rd or 4th time of that, I figured there was probably a dependency problem or something else and just removed it. I plan on moving to Mint 12 KDE soonish because users at the community forums over there are saying it "runs" better than the standard Gnome 3.1 version. So I'll give it another try then.
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 16 KDE
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    I installed it on Mint via package manager and it spontaneously quits after about 15-30 seconds of use. So after the 3rd or 4th time of that, I figured there was probably a dependency problem or something else and just removed it. I plan on moving to Mint 12 KDE soonish because users at the community forums over there are saying it "runs" better than the standard Gnome 3.1 version. So I'll give it another try then.
    It sounds like you have installed version 2.0; it does that on Xubuntu also. Version 2.4 works fine though. The thing I am missing most from Firefox is the close tab being in the tab.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The thing I am missing most from Firefox is the close tab being in the tab.
    That's actually one of the main things that kept me from looking at SeaMonkey for very long.
    Petty annoyance, I know. But I'm a Tab-hopping guy, in the extreme!
    In the course of 15 minutes of browsing, I probably open and close tabs at least 7 or 8 times as I cross-check something... or fall prey to SOS!*

*Shiny Object Syndrome
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I actually prefer the single "close active tab" button as with the individual close buttons it's too easy to close tabs by mistake.

Very, very true...
    And that would explain why one of the few KB shortcuts I know is how to re-open closed tabs.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    My attempt to adjust to Seamonkey once again didn't last very long, and I'm already back to Firefox.

All of the minor annoyances that come with it and its rather unpolished look compared to other web browsers, along with the fact that it's not compatible with several of my favorite extensions are too much to overcome at the current time. My guess is that it will still be around when the right time comes to try it yet again.
    oz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast