Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
And still think it is the best browser but I'm considering moving to Sea monkey on a permanent basis as I have found one bit of bloat too much in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I used to defend Firefox all the way

And still think it is the best browser but I'm considering moving to Sea monkey on a permanent basis as I have found one bit of bloat too much in FF11 even for me.

Now, I make my living as a web developer so this bit of bloat is aimed squarely at me. But ffs Mozilla devs this 3D visualisation of element nesting should be a plug-in as should your entire effing inspector! Do you actually remember why Firefox was started?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Yeah, I kinda agree with you elija. I fell out with Firefox after ver. 9. I uninstalled Firefox in some of my Puppy Linux installs and went with SeaMonkey 2.7.2 because of freezes related to Firefox in Puppy Linux because of lib conflicts.

Firefox 9 and firefox 10 Hardkap

Besides, Seamonkey comes with built in mail client and Chatzilla and page translator plus a lot of other tools and runs lighter than firefox. We went with Iceweasel instead of Iceape in AntiX Beta 12 because at the time Iceape was way behind Seamonkey at the time we made the change. But. My latest Iceape (ver. 2.7.2) has now caught up to current version of Seamonkey on my AntiX 8.5 installs.

Different tracks for different bikes I guess.

Edit: I Spoke too soon. Posting now in Firefox from built in TOR button.

Congratulations. Your browser is configured to use Tor.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-17-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have been using Seamonkey for years because Firefox acts too much like windows as it
    acts like a Gorilla upon my computer trying to force everything through it. I like the Galeon
    and the Konqueror browsers too, but 90% of my browsing is done through Seamonkey
    and its many profiles!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Another seamonkey user here. I switched from firefox to seamonkey last week.

oz
    forum.guy
    Seamonkey would be my choice as well if the suite components were available individually rather than as the full suite. I'd only be interested in the web browser, but so far as I know, the individual components are not available for download.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Seamonkey would be my choice as well if the suite components were available individually rather than as the full suite. I'd only be interested in the web browser, but so far as I know, the individual components are not available for download.
    Thats just it though, SeaMonkey is an entire suite, but that entire suite is less bloated that Firefox on its own. So the fact that you have all these extras is just a bonus. Also Seamonkey doesn't force you to use all the components, in actual fact in Debian Linux (known as IceApe just for those who may not know) at least, you can access SeaMonkey Suite (the all-in-one) SeaMonkey Navigator, or SeaMonkey Mail Composer separately.

I also think your able to download the Navigator independently of the Suite.

Also if your a google hater, its community driven, so its only backed and powered by Mozilla not developed by them. Although i am sure there are Mozilla Developers working on it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I also think your able to download the Navigator independently of the Suite.
    Thanks for the info... if that's the case, I'd be interested in that. There doesn't seem to be a Navigator package available in the Arch repos, but I'll research it further.
    oz

This actually touches on something that really drives my nuts about using Linux. Firefox on linux uses over 500 mb of ram. The same firefox with the same extensions/add-ons, with the same tabs open only uses 150 mb of ram in windows.
    Last edited by SkittleLinux18; 03-18-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: diplomacy
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 16 KDE
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    This actually touches on something that really drives my nuts about using Linux. Firefox on linux uses over 500 mb of ram. The same firefox with the same extensions/add-ons, with the same tabs open only uses 150 mb of ram in windows.

Do you have a theory as to why? If what you are saying is true, it is indeed strange, since Microsoft is the hard-drive space and memory pig. Firefox should be like everything else and require less RAM on a Linux system. I find this revelation very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    I've not found this to be true.
    As it stands right now, I have multiple tabs open in FF11, Transmission is open, as well as Mplayer.
    My RAM usage, total, is floating around 450 MB.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast