Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, I was just wondering if anydbody has upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS yet? And if so, How do you like it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubunu 12.04 Opinions?

Hey, I was just wondering if anydbody has upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS yet? And if so, How do you like it?

From distrowatch.com

Summary of expected upcoming releases

2012-03-29: Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2
    2012-04-03: Fedora 17 Beta
    2012-04-05: openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 3
    2012-04-09: Frugalware Linux 1.7pre1
    2012-04-10: Mageia 2 RC
    2012-04-26: openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 4
    2012-04-26: Ubuntu 12.04 (see release schedule)
    2012-05-01: OpenBSD 5.1 (see release page)
    2012-05-03: Mageia 2 (see development planning)
    2012-05-08: Fedora 17 (see release schedule)
    2012-05-24: openSUSE 12.2 Beta 1
    2012-06-04: Frugalware Linux 1.7pre2
    2012-06-14: openSUSE 12.2 RC1
    2012-06-28: openSUSE 12.2 RC2
    2012-07-11: openSUSE 12.2 (see roadmap)
    2012-07-23: Frugalware Linux 1.7rc1
    2012-08-06: Frugalware Linux 1.7rc2
    2012-08-20: Frugalware Linux 1.7 (see roadmap)

Right now 12.04 is in beta developement, the LTS final release wont be until April 26.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Um... Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 is available... I don't know what to tell you...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the final release, not the work in progress.
    Registered Linux user #526930

On impulse I tried out Xubu 12.04 for a few days. It looks great! Seems a bit faster than my 10.04, and for the first time my sound worked without having to remove PulseAudio. But updates came fast and furiously, and I worried that the next one would bork my system. This ol' computer is my only one, and I really had no business beta testing an OS on my only computer!

There's a new installer to replace the ever-awesome, tried-and-true Ubiquity, and I don't trust it. It bypassed the proper partitioning thing and created a duplicate somethingorother that left no room for the 3rd update.

I posted a blog post about it here (add the www dot - I can't post links yet):

adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/friends-dont-let-friends-beta-test-linux-distros/

Ubuntu 12.04 is great, it takes up zero space on my hard drive, practically like its not even there.

Although when i think about it, that is because it won't install, the installer fails each and every time. Just for comparison i can get Ubuntu 10.10 to install without any hassles. It also appears that they have either removed or changed some drivers too, because Ubuntu 10.10 works fine on installation with my current Graphics card but 12.04 will kernel panic with my graphics card unless i use VGA aside from the installation problem.

In summary what this suggests to me is 12.04 has some hardware problems that need sorting out, which in all honesty i find a little surprising consider 10.10 will work like a dream.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 04-09-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
    There's a new installer to replace the ever-awesome, tried-and-true Ubiquity, and I don't trust it. It bypassed the proper partitioning thing and created a duplicate somethingorother that left no room for the 3rd update.

I posted a blog post about it here (add the www dot - I can't post links yet):

adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/friends-dont-let-friends-beta-test-linux-distros/
    I don't think ubiquity is awesome; I think it stinks. Bodhi Linux uses it too and it made a right mess of my hard drive. Same problem as Sidekick - no decent partitioning tool. Some software designers don't know the difference between "user-friendly" and "pretty graphics". A genuinely user-friendly installer must give you access on demand to some form of parted.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Ubiquity does have a manual partitioning option which gives you full control. I know because I used to install Mint 12 on my laptop yesterday (figured if I was going to check Cinnamon out, it may as well be native ) What I don't know is whether Bodhi gives the option on install.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Ubiquity does have a manual partitioning option which gives you full control. I know because I used to install Mint 12 on my laptop yesterday (figured if I was going to check Cinnamon out, it may as well be native ) What I don't know is whether Bodhi gives the option on install.
    The version I used gives you the option of partitioning manually, but when I took it, I just got a pretty graphic with a dial to determine how much of my home partition it was going to steal plus two buttons for "whole partition" and "whole disk"! There was no way of saying "Use the free partition I have carefully made as your new root partition and don't bother making a swap because I've already got one". I could have done that easily with parted.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Yes i agree hazel, Ubiquity is a terrible... i still prefer the Red Hat way of partitioning. Anaconda, i believe or maybe that's the installer lol, i really should know huh?

I am noticing a trend occurring here... The more developers try to make it a pretty GUI with lots of eye-candy the less functional that piece of software becomes. Although i must admit Commodore OS Vision is based of Ubuntu & Mint and there installer is very easy to use but still functional. Similar to Debian and most Red Hat Distro's. (probably pointing out the obvious here but oh well, you can just call me Captain Obvious if you like)

Not to hijack the topic or anything, but i have simple question maybe someone can answer for me, but why is Red Hat still using GRUB over GRUB2, when there are clear advantages to GRUB2?
    Another question is, when it comes to the package managers i have noticed that RPM's support alot less software than most other package managers. Unless you go with SUSE or Fedora, so i am curious as to why that is? For example DEB packages i have noticed will support Cairo-Dock and AWN, while RPM does not support these unless your with Fedora or SUSE. I have been using Debian for a while now but have long been a Red Hat user with Scientific Linux, Oracle Linux, and Scientific Linux Fermi as of late. But after using Debian and the DEB package manager i am beginning to notice some limitations of RPM in terms of software support, Cairo-dock and AWN are just two examples. Another clear example is filesystems, not to take a chip out of Red Hat, but i find it really annoying that one can only use EXT2,3 or 4 or XFS in Red Hat and no optional support for any other filesystem, this is not mentioning that XFS is unsupported as root (this isn't including user-space support, this is about installation support). I don't have anything against EXT or XFS filesystems and using them, all i am saying is its annoying that they don't offer the other filesystems as an additional option. I mean all it requires is a script that provides a yes or no answer during boot installation & before the partitioner, asking would you like full kernel support for JFS, Reiser FS, XFS, BTRFS & EXT 2-4. People will answer it how they please and it does not hinder Red Hat's efforts in developing EXT4. I mean honestly that is one of the main reasons i transferred my primary Linux OS from Red Hat Based to Debian Based.

I have had my rant, and you can ignore what i have said if you like and continue discussing what this thread was opened for, up to you guys. As i said i to do not want to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 04-12-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast