Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I was just wondering what you guys think is the best Desktop computer(not a all-in-one). Currently I really like the System76 Leopard Extreme... But what do you guys think?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Desktop Computer?

Hi, I was just wondering what you guys think is the best Desktop computer(not a all-in-one). Currently I really like the System76 Leopard Extreme... But what do you guys think?

I generally set a budget, then go to Tigerdirect.com or NewEgg.com and buy the best computer I can find in my budget. I've priced out building my own, but I have little free time to work on such a project, and the savings just don't seem worth it.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I generally set a budget, then go to Tigerdirect.com or NewEgg.com and buy the best computer I can find in my budget. I've priced out building my own, but I have little free time to work on such a project, and the savings just don't seem worth it.
    When building your own you will get better quality components as the big system builders seem to use the cheapest components they can get away with
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

True, elija, but on my budget, that is pretty much what I use anyway.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    When building your own you will get better quality components as the big system builders seem to use the cheapest components they can get away with
    +1

The "best" desktop computer is the one you build yourself. I've always built my own machines (since the early 90s) and they tend to last a very long time (in fact far too long), not because I buy expensive components, but because the components you buy tend to last longer than the rubbish that OEMs put into branded systems. Best is subjective - IMO it has no relation to performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    True, elija, but on my budget, that is pretty much what I use anyway.
    The cheaper components you buy are still not as poor as what OEMs use...

OEMs tend to skimp in 4 main areas: motherboard, hard disk, RAM and power supply. These are obviously three critical areas.

They cut corners because a) marketing is based on "3GHz quad core CPU!", "2 Terabyte HDD!", "16GB of RAM!", and not real specs, build quality, etc. b) they make a big saving and thus more profit margin on passing on those cheaper components and c) OEM systems are not supposed to last - they are supposed to die after a few years and you are supposed to go out and buy another one.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by PYTH0N View Post
    I was just wondering what you guys think is the best Desktop computer(not a all-in-one).
    For the last 15 years, I've been building my own computers and have found them to be far better in quality than any pre-assembled unit that I had previously purchased. I like having full control over what goes into them, and then always knowing that they can be easily upgraded without running into various proprietary issues. The choosing of parts and the assembly itself is always fun, and it's a real hoot to boot for the first time into something that you've built yourself.

I'd highly recommend building your own if you've never done it!
    oz

Totally agree with building your own. It will be a far more satisfying experience. Also it doesn't matter what your budget it is as long as its reasonable. I built my friend a computer on a $1000 budget (give or take $100) with the ultimate decision up to him and this is what he got:

Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX 8-Core 3.20 Ghz
    RAM: 8 GB 1600 Mhz
    HDD: 2 TB
    GPU: Radeon HD 6850

The specs are irrelevant really, but the point is he knows what went into it and the quality of each component. On top he can fix or replace any component needed and the bonus is he got a reasonably high spec computer for alot less than a retailer.

Looking at the computer your thinking of... you could probably build that exact same machine with the highest configuration they offer for about $500 (approx.) less yourself.

Just Joined!
    Hm... ok. Would you guys say that building you own computer is cheaper then buying one that is already put together?

oz
    forum.guy
    In some cases yes, in others, no... depending on the computer you intend to build or purchase. Things can also go wrong, then your expenses might rise by a lot. If you find great deals on the components and everything works as expected, you might be able to save yourself some money.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok. I think It will be a while before I can build my own computer but.... thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast