Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am just starting with linux, I have a live CD of Linux Mint. Is this a good starting point? any suggestions if not. Thanks for any suggestions. Van...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Linux mint

I am just starting with linux, I have a live CD of Linux Mint. Is this a good starting point? any suggestions if not. Thanks for any suggestions. Van

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by vank66 View Post
    I am just starting with linux, I have a live CD of Linux Mint. Is this a good starting point?
    Hello and welcome!

Yes, that's as good a place to start as any.

Hope you'll have fun with it...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks forum Guy,I'm looking forward to learning Linux.Windows keeps getting worse with each new version so I thought I'd give Linux a whirl. Van

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Windows keeps getting worse with each new version so I thought I'd give Linux a whirl.
    Good luck with it, and if you should run into any issues, don't hesitate to start new threads with all the details.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Mint is a GREAT starting point, particularly for Gnome. Another great choice, if you want to start with the KDE desktop, is Mepis. Both are stable and friendly.

Just Joined!

Welcome!

I am just starting with linux, I have a live CD of Linux Mint. Is this a good starting point? any suggestions if not. Thanks for any suggestions. Van
    In my most honest opinion, yes! that is a very good place to start.
    I am a mint user myself (if you hadn't guessed) and would recommend it to anybody, but even more to those coming from the Windows world. LM is familiar enough to have a very easy transition yet also changes enough from windows so as to see that you are in a new and free world!

If you can choose, you might want to try Linux Mint 11 for a while and then maybe switch to 12, depending on how comfortable you find yourself.

a thousand mile long trip starts with one step!

Just Joined!
    I consider myself a newbie to Linux. I am now using Ubuntu for almost all my computer work. Unfortunately, there are a couple of things that don't work in the Linux world or I have not learned how to make them work. I also experiment with other distros. Currently, running Ubuntu 11.04 in classic mode, 11.10, and Mint 12.

That said, if you are coming from the windows world, I think Mint is a great start! My personal opinion on Ubuntu is it is great. And, Ubuntu w/Unity is not good. Nothing wrong with the OS, I just don't care for the user interface. I am trying to keep and open mind about Unity, but I prefer the Gnome interface from Ubuntu 9, 10, and use 11.04 in Classic mode. I just cannot get to the point of liking the Unity desktop in 11.10. Hopefully, 12.04 will be better. If not, Mint here I come!!!

Start with Mint. Don't be afraid experiment and try other distros either through dual boot or like distros. Find what works for you--Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or one or more of a host of others.

Just Joined!
    It's a great first choice, it's similar to Ubuntu which is known for it's ease of use. I'm using Mint LXDE right now and love it and I've tried plenty of other distros. I think Mint is the best and easiest choice for new users especially after what Ubuntu did with Unity. Also using Linux is not nearly as hard as people think, it's not like you have to do everything from the command line anymore. Just don't expect to be able to run everything you run in Windows in Linux. You should dual boot until you feel comfortable with what your doing or just always keep Windows in case there's something you can't run in Linux. Good Luck!

Just Joined!

Is it for use at home

Welcome on board!

PinguyOS(.com) is an ubuntu-derivative, with some flavours of mint. It comes with more useful applications preinstalled. My favourite for almost two years now - it is in my opinion just the user-friendliest by far. Hope you give it a try also!

Just Joined!
    I have the latest Mint on an old laptop, and like it - mostly Ubuntu with a different desktop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast