Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi All, I've been wanting to get into Linux for a long time, and recently had an idea for an application to get started. I was given a cool video ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

(first post) seeking 'Video Booth' Advice

hi All,

I've been wanting to get into Linux for a long time, and recently had an idea for an application to get started.

I was given a cool video camera, that unfortunately no longer is able to hold tapes nor does it have a battery.

I'd like to house this camera in a large wooden box, along with G4 (the two connected by IEEE 1394).

I'm looking for simple functionality (just one program that allows people to press a green button to record, red button to stop), and was hoping to build it on Linux so it would be rock solid stable.

I imagine I'll need to build the two buttons (record / stop) from some kind of usb kit? Also hoping to include some kind of 'recording live' blinking red LED.

Anyway, this is a long post to ask if you guys have any tips on:

A. Some kind of simple 'video photo booth' type software that is good for Linux (I know there are a lot of really cool, fancy video programs for it) and,

B. What might be a good place to get started on said project?

Thanks so much for reading this, and any direction you might share.

TX

ffmpeg is a command line program that can do an awful lots of things, among them record from ieee 1394.
    with the xset command you can turn on or off the keyboard lights (CAPS, NUM and SCROLL)

You can hack a keyboard and take the ligths out of it and use a script to put together ffmpeg and xset. I wont tell how to do it because it would take the fun out of it wouldn't it?

Good luck

Arespi,

That is amazing. I looked at the projects tab, then glanced at the about tab.

Perfect!

Thanks!

me looking at linux ()

I once booted a live disk on my latop. Never jumped in though.

Now's the time. Thanks for the direction!!

READING time,
    tx

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the system recognizes this device, you should be able to access it with vlc, ffmpeg, and other tools using the v4l (video 4 linux) drivers. If it works, then you can also use it as a webcam for Skype, and other video conferencing tools!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

hey Rubberman,

thanks for the tips and ideas! I'm really new to this stuff, so I greatly appreciate it

TX