Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
On my desktop multiboot 6:- Arch (several for different purposes), Gentoo, Funtoo, Crux, Mint Debian Edition, and Windows XP. Also a couple of VMs for try out of distros and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

On my desktop multiboot 6:-
    Arch (several for different purposes), Gentoo, Funtoo, Crux, Mint Debian Edition, and Windows XP. Also a couple of VMs for try out of distros and Windows 2000.

On my main laptop multiboot 5:-
    Arch (2 for different purposes), Gentoo, Mint Debian Edition (32 and 64 bit versions), Slackware. If I swap the hard drive Windows Vista and Mint Debian Edition. Also a couple of VMs for try out of distros (including LFS) and Windows 2000.

On my old laptop multiboot 3:-
    Debian Stable, Arch, Windows 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    On my desktop multiboot 6:-
    Arch (several for different purposes), Gentoo, Funtoo, Crux, Mint Debian Edition, and Windows XP. Also a couple of VMs for try out of distros and Windows 2000.

On my main laptop multiboot 5:-
    Arch (2 for different purposes), Gentoo, Mint Debian Edition (32 and 64 bit versions), Slackware. If I swap the hard drive Windows Vista and Mint Debian Edition. Also a couple of VMs for try out of distros (including LFS) and Windows 2000.

On my old laptop multiboot 3:-
    Debian Stable, Arch, Windows 2000.
    Thats a lot of Linux distro's there... Are you interested in trying out a few of the other free OS's? Like some of the BSD's or Solaris? Your obviously quite cable at terminal as you have gentoo and that is one of the hardest Linux distros to install, so most of the BSD's and Solaris would be a breeze.

I see your a Windows 2000 fan?? Any reason why you use that on all your computers over XP or 7, Or at least in VM's??

@Rubberman, thats kool. How do you set up an arms system in an emulator?? Is it using Virtualbox or another VM??

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use mostly the Android emulator for simulating an Android (ARM) cell phone, but I also use qemu to simulate an ARM processor for other stuff: QEMU
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Surely there are ways to have a PATA to SATA adapter, to get around that??
    Those things seem quite expensive for what they are and I'd rather just buy new hard disks than mess about with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Although yes i would agree with you, that swapping out hard drives is pushing the definition. If that was the case everyone could pull out there other desktop & laptop hard drives and maybe even there friends hehehe, and shove em' into one computer and say i am multi-booting 20 OS's.
    Well my hard disk swapping days looked set to end at the weekend when I dug out the old PCI PATA card...

To cut a long story short - after hours of messing around, getting it working and then realising that it has a loose connection and even when it does work it's is painfully slow starting grub - and then releasing that I knew all that years ago and then wondering why I hadn't thrown it in the bin years ago - it's now finally in the bin...

At that point after getting everything plugged back in and working - lots of ATA errors appearing in the console... what the hell?

And no network...

So I checked the link and activity lights on the rear of the network - both on solid...

So "PCI bus" says I... shuts down, different PCI slot, started up again - the same - it's also in the bin...

As that was the old NIC which was replacing the faulty onboard NIC, I'm now back to the onboard NIC which works every second reboot (if you clench your buttocks)... that was after a "rip roaring adventure" with wifi adaptors. I might start a thread on that if only to curse the things and commend them and their creators to the devil several times.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are reasonably priced docking bays and enclosures that accept both sata and pata drives.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Windows 7 x64 on my Raid0 desktop for gaming.

Funtoo Linux x64 on my laptop for everything else.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I only have room for two but they haven't always been the same two. I started out on this machine with Ubuntu and Debian Stable. Then it became Debian Stable and Gentoo, then Debian Testing and Crux, and finally Crux and Slackbody.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I have a couple of applications that I need Windows for, they work on Windows 2000 which is less resource intensive than XP - and does not need to be activated when you do a re-install. I installed freeBSD in a VM a few months ago but did not really do anything with it after the install ... so removed it a few weeks later. Solaris I have not used ... I get by in a terminal but use the man pages a lot

Ed: I think my record in the past has been about 12 distros on one machine ... I used to have openSUSE, Ubuntu, DSL, Debian, Mint and Sabayon
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 03-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.

That sounds like something too advanced for me! I'm just a beginner, but I use multiple OSes, in a way: At school I use Windows, on my cellphone I use Android (that's a Linux isn't it?), and here at home I use Xubuntu. I like Xubuntu best! I even do all my schoolwork on it and save papers as pdfs or in "doc" format for printing or e-mailing.

I got out of multibooting several distros on one hardrive. I used to have a grub4dos menu that looked like

Code:
    # menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v
    color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
    timeout 10
    default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Bruno pup-431 (sdb1/pup431)
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies /pup431/initrd.gz
      kernel /pup431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=pup431 pfix=fsck
      initrd /pup431/initrd.gz

title Bruno pup-431 (sdb1/pup431) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy withot pupsave
      kernel /pup431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=pup431 pfix=ram,fsck
      initrd /pup431/initrd.gz

title Macpup-511 (sda1/puppy511harry)
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy511harry/initrd.gz
      kernel /puppy511harry/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy511harry pfix=fsck
      initrd /puppy511harry/initrd.gz

title NOP pup-431 (sdb2/puppy431)
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy431/initrd.gz
      kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy431 pfix=fsck
      initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz

# Full installed Linux

title antiX at sdb7, kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd1,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp root=UUID=e8710ae6-9aed-40ce-a34f-9f3f87b758c1 nomce quiet nosplash nouveau.modeset=0 vga=788 
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp
    boot

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 root=UUID=215cde80-eeb6-451f-929f-5fb9493e7932 nosplash quiet nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 (init-3)
    root      (hd0,6)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 root=UUID=215cde80-eeb6-451f-929f-5fb9493e7932  nosplash quiet nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 3
    initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686
    root      (hd0,6)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686 root=UUID=215cde80-eeb6-451f-929f-5fb9493e7932  nosplash quiet nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 
    initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686 (init-3)
    root      (hd0,6)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686 root=UUID=215cde80-eeb6-451f-929f-5fb9493e7932  nosplash quiet nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 3
    initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
    root      (hd0,6)
    kernel      /boot/memtest86+.bin

title Quirky 120 (sda8/boot)
      uuid 31821294-4cdf-49ff-b5f6-f6f05beb1b66
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 

# Windows
    # this entry searches Windows on the HDD and boot it up
    title Windows\nBoot up Windows if installed
      errorcheck off
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /bootmgr
      chainloader /bootmgr
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /ntldr
      chainloader /ntldr
      find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd   /io.sys
      chainloader /io.sys
      errorcheck on

# additionals

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
    kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Grub4Dos commandline\n(for experts only)
      commandline

title Reboot computer
      reboot

title Halt computer
      halt
    But I gave that computer to a 78 year old female friend of my wife after I got my emachine from a dumpster. I put Windows XP back on it because the wife would be teaching her how to use it.

Anymore. I just make flash drive with persistence and just run any dual boot with a bios boot change.
    It was good learning though how to work with legacy grub and grub4dos to successfully boot multiple
    distros. Hands on experimenting is the only way I know how to teach myself anything, whether in computing or real
    liife.

I do however act like caravel on my Amrel RT 786EX Laptop that has Hot Swap Hard Drive caddies. I have 3 of them and run AntiX 11 on 1, Lighthouse 5.0.3 32 bit Puppy Linux on 2, and Windows XP on 3. I still require Windows for Tuning Motorcycles because of Software and Firmare DRM. It is the only thing I use Windows for how ever.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast