Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I only have room for two but they haven't always been the same two. I started out on this machine with Ubuntu and Debian Stable. Then it became Debian Stable and Gentoo, then Debian Testing and Crux, and finally Crux and Slackbody.
    yeah, i know what you mean. I am always changing distro's around. I think i have changed at least 2 distro's since i started this thread lol.

@rokytnji: Why did you decide to just stop? No need to multiboot, or just decided on a particular distro and didn't feel like messing around with others?

No need to multiboot, or just decided on a particular distro and didn't feel like messing around with others?
    Yeah. It was kind of a evolution process for me experimenting with different Desktops,Windows managers,File system structure, etc......... I still multiboot because I won't go on the net with Windows. I just don't multiboot like I used to with 6 or 7 distros on one internal hardrive after learning persistent flash works just as well and on my laptops and eeepc and acer netbooks that are small SSD or won't boot from USB. These are all Linux powered. Although the I fibbing a little as the little Acer Aspire ZG5 I have dualboots Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04LTS for now. Windows XP sits on the smaller partition I shrunk with Gparted. Ubuntu takes up the extra 100 gig on it.

So yeah, I'm like Dapper Dan or OZ or Jay or TBob or Gruven where I finally settled on one size fits all. Which for me is AntiX.
    It needs no re-install like Ubuntu. It is a rolling release based on Debian Testing or Unstable (depending on me/preferences in /etc/apt/sources.list). I know Mint LMDE and Crunchbang and Semplice fall into these catagories also for Debian Spinoffs (plus others I am sure). I just have a personal relationship with the AntiX developer which I cherish. To each their own though.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

On just one machine, I dual boot CRUX and Windows XP. The only thing I need XP for is the script writing software Final Draft. It used to work in XP in a virtual machine but since the last upgrade it won't. What's maddening is that Final Draft works perfectly under wine except that it forgets it's a licensed install when you close it out and re-open it. This would be such an easy fix if the company would get behind its use under wine but they won't. They won't port it over to Linux either.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    On just one machine, I dual boot CRUX and Windows XP. The only thing I need XP for is the script writing software Final Draft. It used to work in XP in a virtual machine but since the last upgrade it won't. What's maddening is that Final Draft works perfectly under wine except that it forgets it's a licensed install when you close it out and re-open it. This would be such an easy fix if the company would get behind its use under wine but they won't. They won't port it over to Linux either.
    I have noticed that when you upgrade a VM manager it can screw around with the virtual machine or at least preventing it from working properly. Especially virtualbox.

If i was you i would re-install your VM manager again with the latest software and see if that fixes your problem.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I have noticed that when you upgrade a VM manager it can screw around with the virtual machine or at least preventing it from working properly. Especially virtualbox.

If i was you i would re-install your VM manager again with the latest software and see if that fixes your problem.
    The only problems I have seen with VirtualBox are that you need to reinstall the extensions into VirtualBox itself (especially for USB 2.0 support), and possibly the guest additions to the VMs themselves.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I've found a really good alternative. After posting the above, I decided to give it another search and found Fade In. It's ported to Windows, Mac and Linux and the interface is more intuitive and streamlined than Final Draft. Importantly, it imports and exports Final Draft (the industry standard) so I can send scripts to others in FD format. I've already experimented with this and it works without problems. Fade In costs but hey, they port to Linux so that alone is reason enough to support them. I've pestered Final Draft for years about porting to Linux but they have zero interest. Their loss...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here