Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey, I was interested to find out, how many people are multi-booting, and the number of OS's they are mullti-booting. I think it would be an interesting statistic, to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Number of OS people are multi-booting

Hey,
    I was interested to find out, how many people are multi-booting, and the number of OS's they are mullti-booting.

I think it would be an interesting statistic, to find out just how many user boot more than 2 OS's

I was hoping to create a poll but i can't seem to find the option to do so lol. So with the lack of being able to create a poll i guess, just improvise and post the number of systems your multi-booting and what the OS/es are. Unless someone is willing to create the poll for me. As i seem to be a technologically challenged by this forum

Note: Different OS's don't have to be different systems. For example if your Running multiple Linux Distro's it still counts and a multi-boot.

Number of systems multi-booting: 7
    Operating Systems: Oracle Linux 6.2, Debian Linux (Squeeze), NetBSD 6, FreeBSD 9, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows Sever 8 Beta

Planning to retry OpenBSD 5.1 if it is compatible enough, and reinstall Solaris 11 in place of one of the Windows systems

Virtual Machines Count, but please state its a VM.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Currently I am using Three. XP, Mint and Ubuntu 11.04.

I used to multiboot up to 7. I eventually encountered some issues of brightness control as the kernel was upgraded and so have to settle for 3, for the meantime.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Depends what you mean by multibooting...

on each machine only one host OS installed but ignoring VM's on different physical machines I have Xubuntu 11.10, Salix OS, Crunchbang and PC-BSD
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If swapping out three different hard disks, each containing some form of Debian, amounts to multi booting then yes, if not then no.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Depends what you mean by multibooting...

on each machine only one host OS installed but ignoring VM's on different physical machines I have Xubuntu 11.10, Salix OS, Crunchbang and PC-BSD
    I guess you can count VM's, but with physical machines i meant on the one computer.

Although VM's change the ball game quite alot. A dedicated 1 TB hard drive to VM's is gonna be able to host at least 100 OS's probably more.

Where as if your talking physical systems, than your limit on a 1 TB hard drive is probably 5, unless your being really stringent with space. Then you may fit 10-20 (100GB per OS or 50GB per OS).

So if your talking VM's state it.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    If swapping out three different hard disks, each containing some form of Debian, amounts to multi booting then yes, if not then no.
    Why do you have to swap HDDs in and out if its a desktop?? Unless they are from another Computer...!

Surely your desktop has space for more than 1 hard drive. I don't have a state of the art desktop but it can definitly hold at least 6 hard drives/ solid-states.

It depends lol, i wouldn't count it if they are all the same Debian, i.e. all Squeeze, unless its kFreeBSD and Linux Squeeze. However, if its Debain Squeeze, Lenny, and Wheezy per-say than yeah by all means.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Not sure you could really count VM's as multiboot. To multiboot you would first have to shutdown one to bring up the other.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Why do you have to swap HDDs in and out if its a desktop?? Unless they are from another Computer...!

Surely your desktop has space for more than 1 hard drive. I don't have a state of the art desktop but it can definitly hold at least 6 hard drives/ solid-states.
    They're all PATA drives, and I only have a single PATA controller, with the CDRW connected as the slave. I do have a PCI PATA controller card, but it's not installed at the moment and as it's a micro ATX board I can't cram any more PCI cards in there (already have a PCI ethernet NIC in there to replace the faulty onboard NIC). Besides I rarely boot the other two.

The motherboard has four SATA 3 Gb/s ports, which are disabled in the BIOS - I should make the move to SATA one day... (but with a stash of good 40 - 80GB PATA drives to hand there's not much incentive).

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    It depends lol, i wouldn't count it if they are all the same Debian, i.e. all Squeeze, unless its kFreeBSD and Linux Squeeze. However, if its Debain Squeeze, Lenny, and Wheezy per-say than yeah by all means.
    I would call installing more than one operating system on the same machine - "multi-booting", regardless of whether they are both the same OS, similar or completely different.

I would not call my swapping out of hard disks multi-booting however...

With regard to VMs I agree with Lazydog.

3, Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Netbuntu, but plan to go back to just 1 when I go to 12.04.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Not sure you could really count VM's as multiboot. To multiboot you would first have to shutdown one to bring up the other.
    That depends on how you define multi-booting. If you define multi-booting as simply having more than one Operating System on a physical hard disk or a VM, than no you wouldn't have to shut down one and bring up the other, Because your definition doesn't say you can only boot into one operating system at a time.

If however you define it has being able to boot into one operating system, and then boot into an entirely different OS. Than yeah it sort of implies only booting one at a time, but separate OS's.

Think about it, the only reason we can't currently boot more than one OS at a time on a physical drive, isn't the lack computing power!
    It's simply the lack of a development and know-how on how you would allow two separate physical OS's to both control the system without conflicting with each other. It's only because that it is a restriction that your refining multi-booting to only 1 OS at a time.

I would imagine without any know-how what so ever. That to boot two or more OS's on a physical HDD would require some form of software layer on top of the BIOS or either integrated into the BIOS, that allows the computer to accept messages from both operating systems, and not conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    They're all PATA drives, and I only have a single PATA controller, with the CDRW connected as the slave. I do have a PCI PATA controller card, but it's not installed at the moment and as it's a micro ATX board I can't cram any more PCI cards in there (already have a PCI ethernet NIC in there to replace the faulty onboard NIC). Besides I rarely boot the other two.

The motherboard has four SATA 3 Gb/s ports, which are disabled in the BIOS - I should make the move to SATA one day... (but with a stash of good 40 - 80GB PATA drives to hand there's not much incentive).

I would call installing more than one operating system on the same machine - "multi-booting", regardless of whether they are both the same OS, similar or completely different.

I would not call my swapping out of hard disks multi-booting however...

With regard to VMs I agree with Lazydog.
    Surely there are ways to have a PATA to SATA adapter, to get around that??

As i said to Lazydog above multi-booting is all about how you define it.

Although yes i would agree with you, that swapping out hard drives is pushing the definition. If that was the case everyone could pull out there other desktop & laptop hard drives and maybe even there friends hehehe, and shove em' into one computer and say i am multi-booting 20 OS's.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't multi-boot my computer, unless I boot from a USB or CD/DVD drive. I do run multiple operating systems in virtual machines. Currently I run Windows, QNX, Solaris, several versions of Linux, and a couple of other operating systems in virtual machines, though usually at most 2 at a time (host memory limitations). I also run ARM systems (mostly mobile phones) in an emulator.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast