Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone~ I'm a new member here and I just want to take a moment to introduce myself. I been using Linux for some time. I've always been Windows user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Hello Everyone, I'm a new Linux member here

Hello everyone~
    I'm a new member here and I just want to take a moment to introduce myself. I been using Linux for some time. I've always been Windows user but lately, I been unhappy with Windows. I can tell you one thing... I HATE Windows Vista. So right now, my daughter and I been exploring different Linux. Mostly, we been downloading several Live CD. So far, we got Puppy Linux, Knoppix STD, Knoppix and Ubuntu. Right now, my daughter (12 years old) seem to really like Puppy Linux. As for me, I'm still exploring. My daughter and I just started reading "An Introduction to the Linux Command Shell for Beginners" which I find pretty useful. One of the goal that my daughter and I wanted to do is to be able to create our very own Linux OS. Any help and ideas are always welcome. I realize we got so much to learn. Right now, I can't think of any question I wanted to ask but in the mean time, any comments, idea, or anything,.... do tell.
    By the way, My name is Chris.

Welcome here, Chris. This board is a wonderful GNU/Linux resource. There is a vast, helpful, and highly informative community on the Internet for GNU/Linux users. Here's an article that I point to for new Linux folks to help them explore some of the stuff that's out there for their benefit --> noctslackv1.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/the-gnulinux-adventurers-backpack/.

Enjoy your new Linux adventure!

~Eric

Welcome aboard, Chris!

The advice I have for now... find a distro that suits your taste, install it and learn to use the command line for your admin tasks as opposed to the GUI tools. Most of what you learn there will transfer to different distros, so it's time well spent.

As far as creating your own distro, there are 2 methods that I can think of.
    1. Make a spin of a current distro.
    2. Look at the Linux From Scratch project.

For the first option, this is what many of the current distributions originally did. Mint based on Ubuntu based on Debian.
    For the second option, LFS is in depth... very in depth. The documentation there will show the way to downloading everything, and building it to your exact needs and wishes.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hi there, Chris. Welcome to the forums.

I second what Jay said above about LFS. You might also find this thread to be of interest. One of our respected users, Hazel, went down the road of building her own system and documented her progress and some of the issues she encountered.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Welcome. Since you are interested in spinning your own distribution, you might want to check out Scientific Linux (Scientific Linux - Welcome to Scientific Linux (SL)), which is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone, maintained by some of the biggest scientific labs in the world. They have some great tools to help you create your own spin/distribution. In itself, it is a great distribution. I currently use it on my personal laptop and workstation, as well as on my system at work. Consider it your tax dollars at work!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Welcome to you and your daughter. Glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Definitely check out the thread that Rofoff referenced... this one.
    Hazel gave a great amount of info on how she rolled here SlackBody distro.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hey,
    Welcome
    One thing i do know is your not alone in your hatred of Windows Vista! That's a cursed OS, it's like that damn joke terminal where you make a mistake and it erases your hard drive.

I wish vista did that... but no it just screws you in the "a" and laughs while you suffer in frustration and all the bugs and errors!

This is where your smiley of the guy getting owned by his computer would come in handy Jayd hehehe That always cracks me up