Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to figure out these 3 sites Free Software Foundation — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software The GNU Operating System Welcome [Savannah] From the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux website?

I am trying to figure out these 3 sites
    Free Software Foundation — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
    The GNU Operating System
    Welcome [Savannah]

From the fsf about page
    Free software is a matter of liberty, not price — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
    It seems that the free software foundation is just in control of copyright laws/ patients /licensing of software and don't actually host repos for the software.

But I cann't really distinguish the link between the other 2.
    Is savannah just old repos or do they host new stuff.
    I guess I want to know the difference between the 2 sites.
    And the difference in why they split it up?

Question 2
    I know there is tons of different repo sites/servers out there git , bzr , svn ,cvs , rcs...etc
    But I am trying to get a since of what the major 90% of open source software repo's are host.
    I am assuming it is savannah and gnu site but are there any more major software repo servers out there. Or is it more or less those ones with tons of different mirror servers to aid in not bogging down the network.

Trying to get a feel of if I become a open source software writer someday what the major projects are hosted and the major repo servers to get the latest/greatest software.

I know a few places linux kernel , gcc /binutils , gnome/KDE/X11 , grub ....

Thanks for any info
    Last edited by sam111; 03-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    So then based on the info you guys gave 2 questions I have from it.

1) what do you recommend for a place to host your .deb files , source files (i.e sourceforge , google code , github , others... etc)
    I am looking for the best site where you can easily upload and download your source/code packages and also it be totally free with not to much size restriction. (the easy of use is also another concern )

2)I am curious of all the hosting sites what ones people would be most attracted to / up to try download and use a program ?
    Provided I create great open sources program/software what would be the best place to host these interms of attracting the most people to use it.
    Last edited by sam111; 03-23-2012 at 07:34 PM.

I am not a programer but most of the stuff I need to download is on Sourceforge.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip.
    Nice to know that source forge is pretty popular for software may just host on all of them or provide a link for all of them.

Curious lazydog what linux distro are you using or use the most ... ubuntu , redhat, debain , knoppix ,fedora , arch, gentoo ,...etc
    Also what way to you like to install software the best thru apt-get , yum , pacman , portage ,...etc or the gui based stuff software center, synaptic ,...etc
    or other more primitive low level means tar , dpkg , rpm , configure make install , wget , ...etc

As well as how you usually uninstall

Quote Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    Nice to know that source forge is pretty popular for software may just host on all of them or provide a link for all of them.
    You are welcome.

Curious lazydog what linux distro are you using or use the most ... ubuntu , redhat, debain , knoppix ,fedora , arch, gentoo ,...etc
    I am a Redhat CentOS Fedora person.

Also what way to you like to install software the best thru apt-get , yum , pacman , portage ,...etc or the gui based stuff software center, synaptic ,...etc
    I use yum where I can. Love the auto instal of dependencies.

or other more primitive low level means tar , dpkg , rpm , configure make install , wget , ...etc
    The only thing I install that isn't yum are tar files. sometimes I will build code from source as some to the dependencies are not met with yum but I really want a program installed.

As well as how you usually uninstall
    This would all depend on how I installed, but normally I don't uninstall things I install.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted