Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes
Marketing ? ! -- kinda like taking on a pimp...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Marketing ? ! -- kinda like taking on a pimp

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    Marketing ? ! -- kinda like taking on a pimp
    Harsh. But true.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    A few years back i spent many hours helping people convert to Linux.
    Sadly, many of them went back to Windows because Linux "Doesn't work like I'm used to. I can't install this .exe file."
    Even after I showed them how to install software through Synaptic.
    I've stopped trying to "convert" people. I just use Linux and if someone is interested, I'm prepared to talk about it and what not

Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    Sorry that Linux is so hard for them to learn. Not!
    People have closed minds and seem to be afraid to figure stuff out for themselves.
    'Their loss' is all I can say.
    In a world where people are too lazy to bake a potato (no really) are you surprised?
    Last edited by elija; 03-27-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
    cynwulf likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    In a world where people are to lazy to bake a potato (no really) are you surprised?
    You hit the nail on the head. Lazy does not begin to describe people today. In North America, coffee shops have drive-throughs for crying out loud. Because people are too lazy to get out of the car for two minutes to buy a cup of coffee. (Or at least what passes as coffee in North America.) No hate-mail please. See the laughing icon? The vast majority certainly cannot be interested in configuring a computer, let alone learning how to do it. "Would you like a game with your order of McWindows?"

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Don't you all get tired of these endless articles and blogs asking if this is finally the year of the Linux desktop, or explaining why it isn't the year of the Linux desktop, or why there will never be a year of the Linux desktop?
    I don't read them. Believe it or not that's not only the best solution, it's the only one.

Those articles are designed to be contentious and tend to gloss over the facts and details in a way that will draw in lots of inane comments. The idea is of course that these sites get more hits - and thus ad revenue - it's all about making money from the suckers who read this inane sensationalist drivel.

For me the 'year of the Linux desktop' came when my Mum started using Fedora on her eeepc. Her Windwos install was dying on its ar*e so I cut her disk into two partitions and installed Fedora on the free space. Fedora still works for her. Windwos still has trouble. She only plays the Gnome games, but hey - a hollow victory is still a victory.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I've installed GNU/Linux for friends and relatives in the past alongside their windows and it's surprising how fast they learn... to use the down arrow on the grub menu and enter key to boot windows...

I usually end up removing it again or changing the default in the grub menu to point to the windows entry...

For those few that do stick it out, you will quickly find yourself as the administrator, running back and forth every few weeks, installing stuff, fixing stuff and running their updates for them...

In my experience it's a complete waste of time and effort - if people want to use GNU/Linux they'll seek it out and discover it for themselves. Marketing, pressure and "beginners'" distros like 'buntu and mint don't help.

Years back I complained endlessly about my constant " hard drive reformats " and the money I had spent trying to safely use windows on the Internet!! I had two choices either buy a mac computer or use Linux!! I still hear earfuls of windows complaints but I do not go into a spiel about windows futility anymore I simply give people the URL to Ubuntu and tell them to request a disc if and when they ever give up on windows!! Human Beings, having paid for windows, are married to it. Good Luck to them!! The saying " misery loves company " is very true!! " Window's Hell " is full of people that like it there!!
    elija likes this.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

This the Year of MY Linux Desktop, but I don't really expect to "recruit" new users the way my friend and "Linux mentor" did. But he did show me what it's capable of and when I see how very fast it makes this old computer, my enthusiasm for it might "catch on."

The downside to that is that I'll have to be the "Linux mentor" for anyone I "recruited" to Linux! I'm still too much a newbie for that!
    jayd512 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Lazy does not begin to describe people today. In North America, coffee shops have drive-throughs for crying out loud.
    Let's not forget the Drive-Thru liquor stores. <Enter your own comment here>

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    For me the 'year of the Linux desktop' came when my Mum started using Fedora on her eeepc. Her Windwos install was dying on its ar*e so I cut her disk into two partitions and installed Fedora on the free space. Fedora still works for her. Windwos still has trouble. She only plays the Gnome games, but hey - a hollow victory is still a victory.
    That is a victory, Roxoff... The computer works for what she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
    This the Year of MY Linux Desktop, but I don't really expect to "recruit" new users the way my friend and "Linux mentor" did. But he did show me what it's capable of and when I see how very fast it makes this old computer, my enthusiasm for it might "catch on."

The downside to that is that I'll have to be the "Linux mentor" for anyone I "recruited" to Linux! I'm still too much a newbie for that!
    I like the way you phrased that. But... even being a newbie, you can show folks how to do a few things. So don't count yourself out!

I think we can all agree one one thing... at least to a degree.
    The Year of the Linux Desktop won't be a media event... It's more of a personal victory. The year of the Linux Desktop, for me, was 2006.
    That's when I literally booted Windows!
    Sidekick likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2