Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Don't you all get tired of these endless articles and blogs asking if this is finally the year of the Linux desktop, or explaining why it isn't the year of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Something I am getting rather tired of

Don't you all get tired of these endless articles and blogs asking if this is finally the year of the Linux desktop, or explaining why it isn't the year of the Linux desktop, or why there will never be a year of the Linux desktop?

These people seem to think that the sole purpose of an operating system is to run on as many computers as possible. If some other OS runs on a lot more computers than Linux does, then Linux has somehow failed and needs to try better next year.

What the heck does it matter? I think the chief purpose of an OS is to be stable and robust, secure against malware and crackers, and able to run the apps the user needs. If it's also easy to understand and easy to fix when it goes wrong, that's a bonus. Linux wins hands down on all these points. Complaining that most of the world uses Windows is like a fine wine buff complaining that most of the world drinks plonk!
    Randicus likes this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I could care less who runs what I run

I liked being a biker more back in the 1970s than now. Before being a Biker became the fad.

Year of the Linux Desktop. Only nice thing would be getting the source for all this new hardware coming out.
    Dumbing down a OS though to act like a Twitter,Facebook,Itunes, Telphone interface Ipad whatever.
    Well, I can only speak of rubes riding bikes and crashing first time out.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I think the year of the linux desktop came some time ago, when for the first time there were a usable desktop that any average user could use. Now it's just a matter of marketing. But is also hard to find a motivation to sell something you can get for free. Would it be to hard for a PC vendor to take a linux distro, polish it to make it work flawlessly with the hardware they are selling, something like apple does with mac/os?, I don't know..

Quote Originally Posted by arespi View Post
    I think the year of the linux desktop came some time ago, when for the first time there were a usable desktop that any average user could use. Now it's just a matter of marketing. But is also hard to find a motivation to sell something you can get for free. Would it be to hard for a PC vendor to take a linux distro, polish it to make it work flawlessly with the hardware they are selling, something like apple does with mac/os?, I don't know..
    Why does it need marketing? Are we any the worse off because other people don't use the system we use?
    cynwulf likes this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Why does it need marketing? Are we any the worse off because other people don't use the system we use?
    This.

I think we are much better off without the 90% of computer users using Linux. It would get to a point that it would be commercialized and dumbed down to almost the level that Windows is at now. I like it the way it is.
    elija, cynwulf and jayd512 like this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I like things simple so that they just work but I like the ability to get down and dirty if I want to. As far as I'm concerned it's been the year of Linux desktop for over 6 years now
    TaZMAniac, cynwulf and jayd512 like this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I like things simple so that they just work but I like the ability to get down and dirty if I want to. As far as I'm concerned it's been the year of Linux desktop for over 6 years now
    I totally agree!

Could care less what other people are using.
    As long as my ride is smooth.
    And it finally has been since getting rid of Windows almost 6 years ago.

A few years back i spent many hours helping people convert to Linux.
    Sadly, many of them went back to Windows because Linux "Doesn't work like I'm used to. I can't install this .exe file."
    Even after I showed them how to install software through Synaptic.

Sorry that Linux is so hard for them to learn. Not!
    People have closed minds and seem to be afraid to figure stuff out for themselves.
    'Their loss' is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I think the chief purpose of an OS is to be stable and robust, secure against malware and crackers, and able to run the apps the user needs. If it's also easy to understand and easy to fix when it goes wrong, that's a bonus. Linux wins hands down on all these points. Complaining that most of the world uses Windows is like a fine wine buff complaining that most of the world drinks plonk!
    Eloquently expressed! You are a poetess.
    Unfortunately, many people view everything as a competition.
    And I agree. It would be nice if people learned a little and stopped asking the same question based on ignorance of the relationship between operating systems and the wider world.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post

Great, It is more like what I tried to say, in simpler words

the linux desktop rose the day windows vista was released. Which is the same time windows went into declined and they have never gotten that share back...
    Linux like others have said, doesn't need marketing. If we it had marketing it wouldn't have the advanced user base it has. And it would be as strong as it is. Due to the influx of "stupid users".
    I think linux is still rising, its the dark horse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast