Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How often should you boot your computer? I'm in two minds over this. On the one hand, I know that cold boots put the computer under stress, especially spinning up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A green dilemma

How often should you boot your computer? I'm in two minds over this. On the one hand, I know that cold boots put the computer under stress, especially spinning up the hard drive. The solution would seem to be just leaving it on.

On the other hand, I am a person who tries hard to reduce her footprint on this beautiful but finite planet. I would never think of leaving my TV on standby for hours so why should I do that with my computer? I assume that both machines use similar amounts of energy - or do they?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I'd say just turn it off. If the boot stress is enough to make it fail, the disk most likely was due to fail anyway.

Then again, it is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I think it depends on usage.
    For example, I use my computer all day long. Often leaving it idle for an hour or three, but it's random... no scheduled times.
    I'm also an insomniac. So I'm online in the wee hours, quite often.
    In my case, I'd say leave it on unless you leave the house.
    If, however, you are at your desk from 2-3 and 6-9 each evening... power it off.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I think the more important thing to do is to turn your display OFF because displays that are left on all the time fade to dim and turn green. That gets you 1/2 way there to saving the earth by turning your display off.
    This is particularly important for laptops! You can turn your display off and leave your PC on whether it is a laptop or a tower.
    BTW, I normally power my PC about every 100 days (or so) when it crashes(I run Debian). Occasionally I have trouble remembering my password because I don't use it very often.
    - Mike

I hardly ever turn my computer off, anymore. I do, however, turn off the monitor when I leave my desk!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikecolley View Post
    I think the more important thing to do is to turn your display OFF because displays that are left on all the time fade to dim and turn green. That gets you 1/2 way there to saving the earth by turning your display off.
    This is particularly important for laptops! You can turn your display off and leave your PC on whether it is a laptop or a tower.
    BTW, I normally power my PC about every 100 days (or so) when it crashes(I run Debian). Occasionally I have trouble remembering my password because I don't use it very often.
    - Mike
    Very true. I should have mentioned that my monitor powers down after 45 minutes of inactivity.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

A television produces a picture with a constant stream of electrons (except the new LCD models), so it uses a fair amount of energy. It should be turned off when not in use. As far as I know, the display also uses the most power in a computer. I believe, but by no means can state categorically, that when a computer is placed in suspend or hibernate mode, it uses very little energy. Leaving it on should not waste too much energy if it is convenient to do so.

Just Joined!
    A computer uses up to several hundreds of Watt, depending on the usage. As an example my workstation uses 100W idling(!).
    Most laptops use less than 100W. If you want to know about your numbers you should be able to find them online, or else plug a meter in the power outlet to have a more accurate measurement.

In any case I would put your machine to halt or standby (suspend) as soon as you don't need it anymore.
    By the way, waking it up from standby takes far less time and energy than a cold boot.

About the display: newer ones use <20W. I turn mine off as soon as I don't need it anymore. In standby mode it uses far less energy than when turned on.
    Last edited by rosch; 03-28-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: added the display part

Did you ever look at the energy consumption of your computer, when idling??? I would suggest to leave it on. Instead go and make yourself a cup of tea: which by the way will use more energy to boil the water, than your computer in a whole day!!!

Cheers

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fatra2 View Post
    Did you ever look at the energy consumption of your computer, when idling??? I would suggest to leave it on. Instead go and make yourself a cup of tea: which by the way will use more energy to boil the water, than your computer in a whole day!!!

Cheers
    How can that be? With a hard disk spinning and the power supply producing heat, that's a lot of juice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast