Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Nothing will ever happen with this probably, I'm a dreamer. Plus I lack the connections and abilities....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nothing will ever happen with this probably, I'm a dreamer. Plus I lack the connections and abilities.

Step One
    Create the OS.
    It would be MUCH easier to convince a company to get involved if you have the OS in at least the beta phase. They can see what you are doing. It is not a dream. Something is actually being done. (Little do they know.)

Step Two
    Contact the companies.
    Having contacts inside companies is not necessary. It does require a little awareness of corporate structure. (Knowing whom to speak to.) Also, when dealing with corporate types, it is a good idea to have a plan. This is what we are doing. This is what we want to do. This is the time frame we would like to do it in. Blah, blah, blah. And of course, the sales pitch. Linux has 1% of the desk-top market, which represents whatever millions of computers. Our OS targets those users who want an up-to-date system that has the stability provided by focusing on a small range of well-supported hardware ... blah, blah, blah. And do not forget to include visual aides. People love charts and diagrams.

Start with step one and good luck.

Just Joined!
    I like the plan, but there is a pre-step one that is holding us back. We need a team that has the ability to make an os. small snag.

Canvas the various fora. Ask the members if anyone would like to get involved.
    If you want your OS to be no frills and use Openbox and Conky, I can donate my configuration files.

Just Joined!
    I'd love to do that but people don't usually like being lead by someone who does not know all that much about linux. I need a partner in crime, some one who knows ins and outs of linux and most importantly agrees with the overall purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I'd love to do that but people don't usually like being lead by someone who does not know all that much about linux. I need a partner in crime, some one who knows ins and outs of linux and most importantly agrees with the overall purpose.
    Not knowing much about linux can easily be fixed just by experimenting.

Knowing coding is your big issue. If you can do the coding of your own kernel or at least understand how to modify it. Your halfway their. Most people that create new distro's are developers and already having a network of people (developers) that can help them and even kickstart it, but also know a fair bit themselves.

To me you would be better off to create a derivitive of a pre-existing Linux and make it fit the bill of what you envisenge. That would also give you the idea of whether it will fly or it won't. It also we give you the connections and ability to possibly get developers involved.

If you feel you can't make it unique from the 100's of pre-existing Linux's distro, you could always roll with something different like BSD, Solaris, etc... but they are different again at least Solaris.

I would suggest that if your serious you either self-teach some of the stuff required or pay for a university degree/ diploma in software design etc.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Lately I have been mulling over the idea of creating a DE. I would like to package Openbox with a panel and the ability to have desk-top icons. The purpose would be to provide an Openbox edition that a GNU-Linux beginner would be able to use "out-of-the-box." I envisage this Openbox Deluxe as a big project. Creating an OS ... Oh my goodness! Too ambitious for me.

Yeah, i know what you mean Randicus.

You know what I mean about a beautiful Openbox Deluxe or about creating an OS being a big project?
    Or perhaps both?

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    You know what I mean about a beautiful Openbox Deluxe or about creating an OS being a big project?
    Or perhaps both?
    Both!

I too would like to create an OS (non-Linux based) probably using the Hurd Kernel but improving upon it.
    That or taking the best parts (potentially) of the NetBSD and FreeBSD kernel and making a combined (fused) kernel that has binary compatibility with both the pre-exisitng kernels (Not really an OS but more a kernel development idea, i have plenty of them). And even the DragonFlyBSD kernel, it has unique features i like.

Window Maker is the other one i have ideas for making a variant of or "deluxe edition" :P ; one that provides an easier menu like a panel. Plus gives it a bit more oomph. Window Maker is too grey, makes you feel like its doom and gloom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast