Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I want to lead the making of a new Distro, something new and fresh. Something that is for pc and does not have a tablet feel. I have a great ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone want to make a new distro?

I want to lead the making of a new Distro, something new and fresh. Something that is for pc and does not have a tablet feel. I have a great name (which shall remain secret until I feel it won't be stolen. queue evil laugh) So I want to snowball ideas. I also feel I want to make a smartphone os if the pc version is ever created, then tie them together. I want to have them independent from one anther. I feel that new pc operating systems and phone operating systems are become to appearance similar.

So this is part 1. Find out what will this operating system be like?

please if you agree with my above ideas post your thoughts.

Thank you,
    Matthew Mers

There must be a zillion Linux distros! It makes it hard for a newbie to choose. For me it was easy because I already had a Linux on my computer when I got it. But for people coming to Linux for the first time, the choice must be dizzying!

It's hard to agree with your idea because your post is so vague. There are a lot of "one size fits all" distros like mine, and "niche" distros for gamers, students, hobbyists, security experts, Christians, Muslims, Satanists, music pros, multimedia maniacs, kids, even Hannah Montana fans!

What is it you have in mind specifically?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
    What is it you have in mind specifically?
    This is my third time trying to reply, pre 2 having a little trouble with the site.

Ok, so I'm thinking of something simple, tasteful, clean, consistent, not based on gnome, and user friendly. Something like when you start it up, it has the user interface tour like of old xp. I have some designs drawn on libre draw so i can show them here

What do feel is missing from most of the distros out there?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Two things:

First; It will be difficult to create something that is "different" from everything already out there. Many of the existing distributions are derivatives of the major ones, with the intent of "simplifying" them. Some are simply Debian, Slackware, Arch, whatever, with a different default DE and a few changes in default applications.
    For the most part, the DE or WM makes the biggest difference. If you can create something truly unique, great, but it will be difficult.

Second; You mention two separate versions. One for computers and one for telephones. That would require a lot of work to develop and maintain. In other words, a big project that would require many people. Something to consider.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Second; You mention two separate versions. One for computers and one for telephones. That would require a lot of work to develop and maintain. In other words, a big project that would require many people. Something to consider.
    I said that that would be if the desktop version was a somewhat success. Sorry if I did not clearly state that. I understand, but the problems I find is consistancy. everyone has some problems with linux. I think its because it for such a wide variety of pcs untested with only community support. I think this could be solved with a narrowing of the specs and only include top hardware companies and make the software for a little bit more specific and up to date hardware components. I appreciate your opinion and I really like the points you are telling me. I like that you are pointing out the faults in my Ideas. Confict causes evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

Ok, so I'm thinking of something simple, tasteful, clean, consistent, not based on gnome, and user friendly. Something like when you start it up, it has the user interface tour like of old xp.
    My Xubuntu does all of that. It has a lot of Gnome stuff in it, but it's GTK and so it's a lot easier and simpler with some of that Gnome stuff. It's Xfce which is very intuitive, pretty, and simple. It even gives you a tour.

What do feel is missing from most of the distros out there?
    Most distros are getting bigger and bigger, demanding more hard drive space and more resources to run. Xubu is one of the few remaining that still fits on a CD! The point being that almost nothing is missing from the major distros.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I like that you are pointing out the faults in my Ideas. Confict causes evolution.
    I am not pointing out faults, only checking to make sure you are aware of the size of the task that awaits you. The two version idea is something that would not only require a sizable team of developers, but also a significant amount of time. Be prepared for a few years of work.

As for narrowing the focus to only include a few hardware companies:
    1) Keep in mind that it would greatly limit your potential user base.
    2) If going that route, it would be a good idea to try to convince those companies to back your project. I do not mean financial backing, although that would obviously be nice. I am referring to things like providing Linux drivers, and if one of the companies is a computer manufacturer and the deities are kind, offer a few of of their machines with your distro pre-installed.

To achieve your stated goals you don't need a new distro, but a new desktop environment.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I am not pointing out faults, only checking to make sure you are aware of the size of the task that awaits you. The two version idea is something that would not only require a sizable team of developers, but also a significant amount of time. Be prepared for a few years of work.

As for narrowing the focus to only include a few hardware companies:
    1) Keep in mind that it would greatly limit your potential user base.
    2) If going that route, it would be a good idea to try to convince those companies to back your project. I do not mean financial backing, although that would obviously be nice. I am referring to things like providing Linux drivers, and if one of the companies is a computer manufacturer and the deities are kind, offer a few of of their machines with your distro pre-installed.
    I actually really like the idea. It would be nice to get companies support. The real question is what companies would be interested? I also think that the type of person who linux will have a computer newer then 5 years. Maybe even partner with a specific pc company.

So what companies do you think would potentially support this, and would you be interested in being part of this?

Your feed back is great everyone.

Which companies?
    That would depend on how narrow the focus is. The narrowest focus would be one computer manufacturer and the hardware that they put on their machines. If hardware from more than one company is involved, the backing of a PC maker is unlikely, since the easiest and cheapest method to make a machine is to use components from a single source. (mass production) That of course, is the case for internal components. External hardware, such as printers, should not be a factor. As for printers, scanners, et cetera, in theory one could focus on one or two manufactures. However, companies like HP and Brother already have extensive Linux support. So would it be needed?

Getting the co-operation of a PC manufacturer is guesswork on my part. I can think of two opposing theories. On the one hand, a big company like Lenovo or HP would be more interested, because it would be easy for them to install an OS on a few of the many units they make, while small companies would be less likely to risk loosing money on such a venture. On the other hand, a small manufacturer might be interested in gaining access to a new market, and thereby increasing sales. Which theory, if either, is likely? Pure theory and conjecture. You would need to speak them and find out.

and would you be interested in being part of this?
    If providing feedback and suggestions is considered being part of it, then I already am.
    If it means being a developer, I do not have the ability. I also see no need for such a project, so would not be interested in being involved, but I am always willing to provide ideas to help (or confuse) others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast