Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I am currently backing up everything on my Laptop to an external drive. The reason is that I am planning on switching to ubuntu. I have used it off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Switch to Linux

So I am currently backing up everything on my Laptop to an external drive. The reason is that I am planning on switching to ubuntu. I have used it off a flash drive for about a month so I'm not 100% new to it. However I'm still a little wary about the switch because I'm not sure that I'll have all the utilities available to me that I had with Win7. To put my mind at rest, is there anything that you can do with Windows that you CANNOT do on Linux? Also I plan on running games through WINE so I'm not too worried about those, but my main worries are access to CCleaner, Degraggler, compiling C++ programs. Are these tools available for Ubuntu or very similar ones at least?

Quote Originally Posted by hanlon_donal View Post
    ... is there anything that you can do with Windows that you CANNOT do on Linux? Also I plan on running games through WINE so I'm not too worried about those, but my main worries are access to CCleaner, Degraggler, compiling C++ programs. Are these tools available for Ubuntu or very similar ones at least?
    You don't need CCleaner at all, nor antivirus software. And because Linux uses a journaliing file system, defragmentimg is rarely necessary for ordinary users. But we do have Linux alternatives: Bleachbit does in Linux what CCleaner does in Windows. If it's Ubuntu you've chosen, be at ease! They have among the most vast repositories of software ever. Whatever you want, it's probably there.

Compilation on Linux is easy. There are excellent build tools which are included in most distros. Ubuntu calls the relevant package build-essential; make sure it is installed. A lot of Linux software is written in C++ (the rest is all in C). The GNU C compiler does C++ as well. In addition, many Linux editors do syntax highlighting, which makes writing and debugging source code much easier.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"