Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get a lot more involved with helping to pinpoint bugs but am getting "yelled at" (scolded, told, etc...) that my bug reporting sucks. So for a generic ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Proper Way to Report Bugs

I'm trying to get a lot more involved with helping to pinpoint bugs but am getting "yelled at" (scolded, told, etc...) that my bug reporting sucks. So for a generic linux distro and a normal software package, what's the proper way to report bugs?

This has been confirmed by quite a few people over at Bodhi Forums.

Enabling E Notifications is causing a dbus error to come up upon shutting down/rebooting. The error reads:

"Error during DBus init! Please check if
    dbus is correctly installed and running."

The error flashes really fast, fast enough to where I haven't been able to get the wording (another user posted the above). One of the staff over at bodhi forum thinks it's got to do with the e_modapi_init function

I thought that was enough info to at least start with but one of the devs quickly pointed out that "the real question is why does this bug report suck"

Thanks in advance
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    what's the proper way to report bugs?
    Different distributions have different guidelines for the reporting of bugs. Here's a link to the wiki page with guidelines for properly reporting bugs relating to Arch Linux:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Bug_Guidelines

If your distribution doesn't have any guidelines posted anywhere, I'd recommend asking whomever is in charge of the bugs database or one of the distribution developers to give you some information relating to proper bug reporting. If they can't help you, there might not be any plan in place for properly reporting them.
    oz

The problem I think is that Bodhi's developers for the most part just package E with Ubuntu server to make the distro so the real bugs go to E developers. I actually got a message from the main Bodhi developer saying my bug reporting is fine and that some people are just "really picky", so I guess I'll just be as thorough as I possibly can be. Also I think I need to get better at debugging which I'm not even sure where to start...

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Speaking as a developer, it is nice to have

What version of the software (or in my case which browser / OS)
    Where the bug occurs
    What the actual outcome is
    What the expected outcome is
    Steps (and where appropriate data) to replicate the bug

Do I ever get it?

Nah. I just get "I go to x-page and it doesn't work! Fix it!"

Bah!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Yeah I try to provide all of that but sometimes it seems like devs want like full logs from debugging, for the end user to know what function in what .c file is causing the problem....frustrating for an end user to try to get involved when they want so much

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sometimes a log file is the data you'll need. No need to be a jerk though just ask for it politely. I think if a developer asks your for debugging logs to identify the c file let alone the specific function, you are within your rights to give him or her a quote for doing their work. And if you do that in public then at least it will be funny
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!