Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Man this has been a rough week for me....I work outside everyday and this has been the worse allergy season I have ever encountered. I don't remember being allergic to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

People who suffer from Allergies.

Man this has been a rough week for me....I work outside everyday and this has been the worse allergy season I have ever encountered.
    I don't remember being allergic to anything as a child or young adult but once I turned 40 a few years ago, it seems like it has gotten worse since then. I swear I could roll around in poison Ivy as a youngster and it didn't bother me, but now, if I so much as look at Poison Ivy, I break out in hives!??! (slight exaggeration)
    I have several questions to ask of people who do suffer from seasonal allergies. I think my allergy is one of the Tree pollen, but that is strictly a self diagnosis/theory.
    1. Have you always been allergic to something or did it kind just happen as you got older?
    Maybe it happened different for you...please elaborate.

2. Is there a safe effective treatment besides OTC medicines?
    From anywhere,, including doctors... Acupuncture....herbal.....Aroma..you name it...I am listening. I can't have myself being in a drowsy/ sluggish/ Hazy state of mind because I need to be fully focused on SAFE Driving.
    I do intend to see my Family doctor but this is just food for thought in the meantime. I know Millions have already been to the DR,,,maybe they can spare me some troubles ahead of time.
    3. How do you prepare yourself for these awful years when pollen counts skyrocket....and you STILL have to work outdoors?
    4. ...To be continued, I'm going to sleep now. meds just kicked in.

Thanks for Reading/Replying.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Mike... and all who read this.
    Sometimes the only thing you can do is dope yourself up.
    Hate to say it... but there it is.
    1. Have you always been allergic to something or did it kind just happen as you got older?
    As a child, I was told that I had no allergic problems. Meds, foods, natural substances... (Poison Ivy, Sumac and such not counted )
    Since then, I have developed slight allergies as far as pollen goes. I'm thinking it might get a little worse, but who knows.
    2. Is there a safe effective treatment besides OTC medicines?
    If you find one, please let me know!
    3. How do you prepare yourself for these awful years when pollen counts skyrocket....and you STILL have to work outdoors?
    Prepare? All I can do is realize that it's coming.And OTC stuff doesn't even work for me. So I am somewhat screwed where that is concerned.
    4. ...To be continued, I'm going to sleep now. meds just kicked in.
    I have a few ailments... and even though I'm a chronic insomniac, sleep kicks in when I'm sick. That is my medicine.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've been allergic to pollen all my life and the allergies last all year. Mostly it is controlled with a single non drowsy anti-histamine a day. A prescription one called Neoclarityn over here. At the moment the Rape fields are in bloom and I am having to boost that with Benadryl (OTC) but even that isn't stopping it entirely.

I'm also allergic to fish or more properly seafood. Again it has been all my life. I don't know if it is all seafood but when simply by eating a fish finger, you go into anaphylactic shock so badly that you wake up in hospital with tubes coming out of you, it kind of kills the desire to experiment.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    At the moment the Rape fields are in bloom...
    I need to ask what a Rape field is... not being nasty here, but I have to ask for anybody else that doesn't know.

...but when simply by eating a fish finger, you go into anaphylactic shock so badly that you wake up in hospital with tubes coming out of you, it kind of kills the desire to experiment.
    That blows, man... that's all I can say about that.
    And I'm sorry to hear that. For anybody.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Raw Honey in tea or coffee TBob will improve immunity to allergies. I've been doing it for years The only one it did not kick out for me was the oleander bush if I brush by one. A leaf brushed my face and my eyes were in hell for a few days.

Honey Cures
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have had some reaction to pollen since I was young ... certainly caused problems when I was at school. I am lucky, the reaction is relatively mild and has reduced as I get older. I think my allergy is to tree pollen rather than grass pollen - based on time of year I have a reaction. I cycle to work and find if I flush my eyes and nose with water (in addition to the shower I have) when I get to work or home it helps a lot - you may find this approach helps in combination with other things. I have not taken medication for at least 25 years - but that's because the reaction has tended to reduce over the years. Good luck finding the right combination that works for you ...

oz
    forum.guy
    elija, this is the first that I've heard of this plant, too, but that's a beautiful image of it that you've posted. It's a shame that it can do such a number on people's health.

Hang in there Mike, and keep experimenting with those OTC meds, and even when you find something that works, you might have to switch to something else now and then because they all seem to stop working after a few days. The honey idea proposed by roky helps me, and it seems to be even better if you find honey from bees that were local to you.
    oz

I was allergic to ice cream when I was a child. It brought out an itchy rash, mainly on my stomach. Then it went away and I forgot all about it.

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly found myself with an identical rash. I hadn't eaten anything unusual, so I guess I must have developed a new allergy. I remember my mother telling me, as an old woman, that she had developed a lot of allergies she never had before. It isn't a thing to look forward to.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I was allergic to ice cream when I was a child.
    Now that's a nasty one for a kid
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast