Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jayd512
  • 1 Post By MASONTX
I am writing a paper comparing Ubuntu and Fedora 16. One of the requirements is to get a consenseous of opinions among linux users as to which system they prefer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Wbuntu vs Fedora 16

I am writing a paper comparing Ubuntu and Fedora 16. One of the requirements is to get a consenseous of opinions among linux users as to which system they prefer and in which environment. I have 2 main questions;

1. What type of user do you feel Ubuntu is made for?
    2. What are your favorite features that make Ubuntu stand out from other systems?

I appreciate any help, and I look forward to hearing your opinions.

The introduction and questions are confusing.
    A comparison would ask Ubuntu users which features they believe make Ubuntu stand out from other systems and ask Fedora users what features they believe make Fedora stand out from systems. This is a poll for Ubuntu users, not a comparison.

Ubuntu is designed very much for novices - people who use Windows but want to try Linux. It does everything for you, and doesn't encourage you to find out how Linux works "under the bonnet". For that reason, a lot of Ubuntu users move away from it after a while.

What makes it stand out? Well, compared with a lot of other distros, it's big and bloated, and its apps break easily because it has a frenetic 6-month update cycle. But it does have the reputation of being easy to use.

As to Fedora, it's basically a test bed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. You get very up-to-date bleeding-edge software, but you have to know what to do when things go wrong. Some people love that sort of thing, some people hate it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    Thank you, that is very helpful!

Are there any particular features that you think make Ubuntu desireable to use, or is "ease of use" it's biggest draw?

Ease of use is Ubu's biggest draw - an intro to Linux, a sort of one-size-fits-all OS that "wants to become a drop-in replacement for Windows when it grows up." Actually, it has come a long way and for me at least, it is a drop-in replacement for Windows!

But with that new release every 6 months thing (Fedora also has new releases about twice a year by the way - only they don't offer "LTS" - Long Term Support editions) lends itself to using newbies as beta testers! I think that's unfair for a distro aimed at new users.

Each release is supported for 18 months (LTS releases for 3 to 5 years!), so I would advise new users to stay away from the newest release and stay one release behind the newest one. Many "bugs" are worked out of a release after a couple of months, so it's alot easier.

Fedora is "bleeding edge," a testing ground for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. You get the latest and greatest stuff, but it's truly a testing distro. Fedora is honest about the testing, though, while Ubuntu's approach is a little misleading in my opinion, because they aim it at new Linux users without actually telling them, "basically you're testing this for us, thanks."

Alot also depends on hardware compatibility. I use Xubuntu because the interface is pretty and quick on my older, modest hardware, and I stick to the LTS editions until they reach end-of-life before upgrading to the next LTS release.

I hope that helps a little too!

Both distros are novice friendly... Ubuntu more so, as it tends to include a bit more by way of drivers and extra applications. What was described earlier as 'bloat'. Ubuntu, being based on Debian, has a huge repository of software to draw from when looking to install this application or that.
    Fedora is, indeed, based on RHEL. And many features that work well in Fedora will sometimes make their way into future RH releases. It also makes you learn just a touch more about some of the inner workings, since many 3rd-party drivers and software aren't included by default... so it takes a little more to have a truly functional system.

That said, I started off using Fedora Core 6. I also used 7 and 8 before moving on to other distros. I have used Ubuntu, and I didn't have any problems with it other than the above mentioned bloat.

Both systems are wonderful OSs in their own right. And both are wonderful first steps for a Linux newbie.
    Sidekick likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Ease of use is why I use Ubuntu. I've tried fedora and ubuntu, and about 30 other distro's, but have stayed with Ubuntu LTS versions because I have few problems with them. I don't want to write code, tinker under the hood, or what ever, I just want an os to work, and Ubuntu does that.
    Sidekick likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930