Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All First i would like to introduce myself . My name is Robbie and i stay in South Africa. I am new to linux so expect to have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to LINUX

Hi All

First i would like to introduce myself . My name is Robbie and i stay in South Africa.

I am new to linux so expect to have a lot of questions and will prolly take a while to used to it.
    I chose Linux mint and my first question would be ....is this the right choice or what version of linux would be the easiest to get used to.

Not knowing linux for e.g got me stuck on my first attempt at install a torrent client. Which client would be good for me to use and where could i get all the basic info on how to install these appzzz. LOL dont even know anything atm but am looking forward to learning.

THX in advance

Robert McColl

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Yes, Linux Mint is considered a very good choice for new Linux users. You can use the default package tool that comes with Mint for installing applications. The best torrent client for you would be the one that you like using best. I'd recommend trying several of them and choosing your favorite.

Hope you'll have fun with it...
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's been a while since I used Mint, but IIRC, it has a torrent client called Transmission installed by default, it is very simple but works well (IMNSHO) unless you have lots of torrents to manage.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Welcome aboard!

I'm with elija on this. Transmission is a wonderful program, and very intuitive.
    It's also fairly light on resources, as well.

Try a few out, though. Settle on the one that suits you best.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome, Robbie!

I started with Ubuntu, then Linux Mint, then Crunchbang, PCLinuxOS, Mepis (great, rock-stable), Debian, SalixOS, and now Xubuntu. Easiest and safest to use among the ones I have played with, I'd have to say Linux Mint 9 Xfce. Very stable, supported until next April (2013), sweet, simple interface that's very pretty and easy to use for a newbie.

Linux Guru
    Howdy and Welcome. To get you going in Mint. I recommend reading/using/downloading pdf

The Linux Mint User Guide - Linux Mint Community

Welcome to the forum. Yes, Mint is a good first distro to try. You can go to distrowatch.com and see other distro's as well.
    Registered Linux user #526930