Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I always try to help my friends in the Windoze World to migrate over to the Linux world and Open Source software. Many of them get tangled up in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Slackto-Bismol relief for sufferers of hand-holding GUI-fied distros

I always try to help my friends in the Windoze World to migrate over to the Linux world and Open Source software. Many of them get tangled up in the distros that have all glittery glitzy bells and whisltes, but when I can, I try to steer them towards either slackware or at least one of the many fine Live CD's based on slackware such as Slax, Vector Linux, Zenwalk, GoblinX, NimbleX, Slitaz, Wolvix and a few others, emphasizing that a distro does not have to be bleeding edge in order to learn, get the basics, and get started wtih a solid foundation, and to learn to boot to the CLI to actually do things, and then startx when you need the GUI, you learn so much more that way than when you are relgated to 'point and click'.

Anyway, I had a little time to kill and came up with a Slackware 'First Aid Kit' graphic I did using my distro of choice, Slackware 12.2 and Kolourpaint.

I call it "SlacktoBismol

here's a link

glennmcc.dyndns.org/tele/pics/slacktobismol2.jpg

I tried to upload it, but apparently this site / javascript here does not like Seamonkey 1.1.18 which I am using.

and yes, I do have slackware 13.x on other machines, but still prefer 12.2 because I am simply not wild about KDE 4.x although I can use it and tolerate it after taming all the plasmoids and widetry nonsense.

In fact, on one slackware 13 -current box, I completely removed KDE 4.x and installed KDE 3.5.10

Ask me how, I'll be glad to explain how I did it !!!

cheers!

As a Slacker, I have tosay... I like the graphic!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I had a chance to play with SalixOS (Slackware-based and fully compatibible with it's parent distro) and it's plenty newbie friendly. If the next Xubuntu LTS outruns my poor old hand-me-down hardware, I might switch to it. It's billed as an OS "for lazy Slackers," lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
    "lazy Slackers"
    That, in itself, is the definition of a Slackware user.
    In fact, here is one of my favorite shirts:
    Attachment 4206
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by westburian View Post
    and yes, I do have slackware 13.x on other machines, but still prefer 12.2 because I am simply not wild about KDE 4.x although I can use it and tolerate it after taming all the plasmoids and widetry nonsense.
    Why not replace KDE with something else? Slackware can use other DEs and Wms. If you do not like the direction KDE is moving in, you are not obligated to stick with it. I love Gnome2, but jumped ship as soon as I saw a few screen-grabs of Gnome3. Keeping an old version of KDE is only a temporary solution.

Personally, I have Slack and IceWM.
    All I can say is this... Smooth and Slick.
    I have several applications going right now (FireFox, MPlayer, and Transmission).
    Sitting happy at around 350 on RAM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I have several applications going right now (FireFox, MPlayer, and Transmission).
    Sitting happy at around 350 on RAM.
    That is Smooth and Slick. I am almost tempted to try IceWM. Almost.

IceWM... runs faster than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs.
    IceWM on SlackWare....nice.
    IceWM on CRUX... faster than a scalded cat!
    Last edited by jayd512; 04-10-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Not true... Gnome2 and KDE3 are as dead as you want them to be. This is open source there is nothing stopping you from maintaining them yourself and/ or even improving upon them in your own way.

This is not even mentioning MATE and Trinity both forks of the above respectively!

I still use Gnome2 but must admit i have been looking into JWM, Window Maker and iceWM. I am heavily considering JWM once i figure out the configuration file so i can adjust it to my liking.

Personally if KDE2 was still around with some of the functionality of 3 i would consider it as a possibility.
    cynwulf likes this.

I agree, though it's very early days for both of those forks. People are reluctant to take them up in case the projects get abandoned (happens a lot - especially with forks). Distros are reluctant to include them as they're still based on obsolete software (last time I checked, MATE still depends on gtk2 and bonobo?).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast