Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Last week, I ordered a black cartridge from Tesco for my old but trusty HP Deskjet C815C. They had an original HP cartridge on the shelf, but it cost about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Engineer hazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Harrow, UK
    Posts
    1,198

    Has anyone else had problems with installing printer cartridges?


    Last week, I ordered a black cartridge from Tesco for my old but trusty HP Deskjet C815C. They had an original HP cartridge on the shelf, but it cost about 40 pounds and the Tesco one, available on order, was only 24 pounds. I collected it on Monday, brought it home and unpacked it. Then I found I couldn't get the plastic protective cover off it.

    After googling to no effect, I decided that this certainly wasn't a product "of merchantable quality" and took it back. I told the woman at the desk that she must either get the cover off for me or give me a replacement, as the thing was no use to me otherwise. She was no more successful, so she took it to a beefy-looking man at another checkpoint and he, with a lot of effort, finally pulled the thing off.

    The cartridge now works OK, but I wonder how many other people have had similar problems. A friend whom I emailed with the story said he had seen a Canon cartridge where the plastic protective sheath was actually spot-welded on and required great force to twist it off.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

  2. #2
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,488
    I haven't encountered that issue, but if you mean the protective covers that hang up in the shops they are nearly all (and I'm being charitable here) "over-protective"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

  3. #3
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    they are nearly all (and I'm being charitable here) "over-protective"
    Hazel, if you are referring to the heavy plastic wrapper or packaging they come in, I agree with elija that they are mostly all too difficult to get opened. I usually have to use a knife or some really heavy-duty scissors to access the contents, and even then it's not an easy process.
    oz

  4. #4
    Linux Engineer hazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Harrow, UK
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Hazel, if you are referring to the heavy plastic wrapper or packaging they come in, I agree with elija that they are mostly all too difficult to get opened. I usually have to use a knife or some really heavy-duty scissors to access the contents, and even then it's not an easy process.
    No, that comes off OK with scissors; nail scissors are best as you can use the points to pierce the plastic and then cut all the way around. But when you take the cartridge out, you usually find some kind of solid plastic cap over the electrical connector surface. That was what caused my problem.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

  5. #5
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    358
    Cheapest is to buy genuine hp cartidges off ebay. Most hp printers will accept expired cartridges with no loss of quality. These are a fraction of the new price.

  6. #6
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    No, that comes off OK with scissors; nail scissors are best as you can use the points to pierce the plastic and then cut all the way around. But when you take the cartridge out, you usually find some kind of solid plastic cap over the electrical connector surface. That was what caused my problem.
    Sounds like one of the 'child-proof' medicine bottles.
    I have a bigger problem getting those open than my 10 year old niece does!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  7. #7
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Sounds like one of the 'child-proof' medicine bottles.
    That's exactly what came to mind when I read Hazel's reply.
    oz

  8. #8
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Cheapest is to buy genuine hp cartidges off ebay. Most hp printers will accept expired cartridges with no loss of quality. These are a fraction of the new price.
    Not the Photosmart C8180 all in one
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

  9. #9
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    when you take the cartridge out, you usually find some kind of solid plastic cap over the electrical connector surface. That was what caused my problem.
    Yes, I can see why they might want to protect the surface for the electrical connection, but it's odd that they'd make it so hard to remove the cover. Do you think it's a manufacturing defect, or have they made a change to their product for some reason?

    I'm thinking that if it was easier to remove it before, it must be one or the other.
    oz

  10. #10
    Linux Engineer hazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Harrow, UK
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Yes, I can see why they might want to protect the surface for the electrical connection, but it's odd that they'd make it so hard to remove the cover. Do you think it's a manufacturing defect, or have they made a change to their product for some reason?

    I'm thinking that if it was easier to remove it before, it must be one or the other.
    This is the first black cartridge I've bought, but I bought a Tesco colour cartridge for the same printer about a year ago and I don't remember having a problem with that one. I think it had an adhesive paper seal that peeled off rather than a solid cover.

    Childproof medicine containers (and those for household chemicals) are a nightmare for me. Having got one open, I only close it loosely afterwards, which is probably not very healthy.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •