Find the answer to your Linux question:
This took me a while to figure out so I thought I'd share my good fortune if anyone else is having this issue. ( Please read second post! ) I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Images not loading in Chromium from Facebook, etc.

This took me a while to figure out so I thought I'd share my good fortune if anyone else is having this issue. (Please read second post!)

I'm using Linux Mint and, for a while now, I've had problems with images loading, especially on Facebook but with many other sites as well. I tried a number of "fixes" found on the web and none worked. The solution was to install the regular default java jdk rather than the open java jdk which comes with Mint. I don't know for sure but all *buntus might use open jdk as well. So to fix, just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install default-jdk
    and enjoy seeing images rather than little broken boxes where the images are supposed to be.

By the way, Firefox on this computer was having this issue as well but for some reason, it would load most images and only wouldn't load a few. intalling default-jdk fixed this problem for Firefox too. I hope this is helpful to anyone having the same problem.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 04-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Well, this is just crazy. After surfing the net with both Firefox and Chromium for the rest of the evening without any loading problems whatsoever, the problem returned first thing this morning! What a head scratcher!

I was totally baffled until I remembered the last thing I did on this computer before retiring was to sign in to my Minecraft server. Minecraft is powered by Java! I somehow got Chromium loading images perfectly again and closed it. I then reopened the Minecraft client on this machine, played a few minutes and closed it. When I reopened Chromium, images were not loading again!

Running Minecraft is doing something to make images not load in Chromium and Firefox. My first thought is that Minecraft is using some Java library and then, not releasing it for other applications to use.

So, the bad news is: installing default jdk is not the solution, it only helped me focus in on where the problem actually lies. At this point, any ideas or thoughts on how to address this will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

More weirdness: I shut this box down completely, waited 30 seconds and rebooted opening Chromium first after the desktop appeared. Image loading still a problem in Chromium and Firefox even after a reboot.

EDIT: Same problem across IceWM, Openbox and LXDE.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 04-13-2012 at 02:18 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Needing a JDK to view images on a web site seems really odd to me. Do you use an ad blocker? If so try turning it off and browsing the sites.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

elija, seemed odd to me too but one post I read where someone had this problem talked about uninstalling and re-installing all java to get images on Chromium to load correctly which is what led me to what I thought was a fix. Strange that installing the jdk default actually did somehow remedy the problem which I've been having for a good while now. It worked perfectly until after running Minecraft. I might be on a wild goose chase here... certainly feels that way. Thanks, I'll try that.

looks like this can get complicated

btw I assume you already used info from minecraft

Linux User
    I'm using Unity in Ubuntu, and I have no idea what problem it is you are talking about. This may be specific to Mint only.

Ubuntu goes to great lengths to patch programs so they work smoothly with Unity, for example making Firefox's non-GTK+ menubar still work with their global menu. So maybe Mint also screws with things like libjpeg, or WebKit and the Mozilla rendering engine. Although I don't know what Java would have to do with solving the problem... unless Mint relies on Java to run their UI (do they?).

I think I might have this sorted. It didn't occur to me to even look at /etc/resolv.conf because I know I set it with my ISPs DNS addresses when I first installed Mint. Somehow, (and, probably through my ceaseless tinkering), my resolv.conf got set back to factory default. I re-entered the correct DNS entries and everything seems to be back to normal. I'm not declaring victory just yet though.

It still puzzles me how changing to default JDK fixed the problem completely for a decent period of time. I suppose it was just a coincidence. Thanks to everyone for your input.