Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cousinlucky
In my younger days I used to repair things instead of buying new ones. My friends and relatives appreciated my skills. Most of the men in my family had " ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A couple of Guy things!

In my younger days I used to repair things instead of buying new ones. My friends and relatives appreciated my skills. Most of the men in my family had " workspaces " be it in a garage or a cellar. At any rate I thought some LF members might like to read this:
    How to Make an All-Purpose Work Bench | The Art of Manliness

Mind old mind is growing duller by the day ( even though my dreams are getting wilder ) so I was gravitated to reading this:
    How to Be Less Stupid Altucher Confidential

Have A Really Nice Day Everyone!!
    Sidekick likes this.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well Lucky, when I've built work benches in the past (when I was an auto mechanic), they had to support a full-size V8 engine and transmission assembly, so I used 2x6 planks for the top, 4x4s for the support legs, and 2x4s for the cross braces - and 16p nails to hold it all together (though I did use REALLY big screws a couple of times)...

FWIW, when my wife was in graduate school I worked as a mechanic, starting in a 24hr gas station / garage as the night mechanic, then line mechanic for a variety of car dealers including Volvo, Fiat, Lancia, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Jeep, and VW - finishing up with my own specialty garage for exotic cars (Jaguars, Maserati's, classic Mercedes like 300SL, Morgans, etc). When I started my own garage, that was the bench I built. It could hold two V8 engines without sagging...

When I had to move my shop to a new location, the disassembly and reassembly of that bench was the biggest job by far!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

$20 Bike Lift

I use old biker tricks for making my lifts and lift tables and bike elevated workbenches. Even Wooden Engine stands.
    the old manual for flatheads recomend a wooden box about the size of a plastic milk crate. That worked for many years of garage rebuilders.
    Attachment 4257

One can build one of the above using plywood, 2x4 boards, 3/4 inch pipe with elbows or welded. Use a car floor hydraulic jack to elevate bike and put on a table like like in the link below
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...ble_2_0906.jpg

I quit buying lifts and engine stands and tables long ago.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    $20 Bike Lift

I use old biker tricks for making my lifts and lift tables and bike elevated workbenches. Even Wooden Engine stands.

Attachment 4257

One can build one of the above using plywood, 2x4 boards, 3/4 inch pipe with elbows or welded. Use a car floor hydraulic jack to elevate bike and put on a table like like in the link below
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...ble_2_0906.jpg

I quit buying lifts and engine stands and tables long ago.
    LOL! Are you sure that isn't standard equipment at Guantanamo Bay for their interrogation rooms?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!