Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Hello everyone, (Note: This is my first post on the Linux Forums, so please bear with me if my post sucks. Also, I had no idea where the hell to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile What's your favorite Linux and why?

Hello everyone,

(Note: This is my first post on the Linux Forums, so please bear with me if my post sucks. Also, I had no idea where the hell to put this but I figured either misc. or the coffee lounge was safe.)

Basically, my post is what's your favorite Linux and what do you like and dislike about it?

Boring rambling, and poorly written details following. Skip the rest of the post if you want:

<rambling>

So a few years ago(4ish maybe), I took the red pill and switched over to linux. I have really enjoyed the freedom, customization, and control linux allows. With enough knowledge one can do nearly anything with it, and its a lot of fun for me.

However, I am not yet the linux master ninja jedi wizard I wish to be by any stretch of the imagination. I know some terminal stuff, and some bash, and I like to program a little and tweak my system for shits and giggles, without wrecking it so much I can't get work done on it.

But I am only familiar with just 2 linux flavors: Ubuntu(including different DE's like Kubuntu(uck!) and Xubuntu which I currently use) and more recently Crunchbang Linux which I run on an old laptop.

So the point is, I'm looking to try some new linux flavors and expand my palate. Fairly soon I am going to do a complete overhaul of my desktop computer setup and I figure this is I good time to try something new.

I was initially attracted to Ubuntu because it was very user friendly, and not scary for a newbie. Its worked fine for me so far so I haven't bothered to switch to anything. But I started getting less than content, after they switched over to the Unity DE which I loathe, and the changes with gnome 3 which I don't care for. I've been using Xubuntu since which is better for me, but I still miss gnome 2. Anyway, even with a DE I like, Ubuntu is still bloated full of all kinds of crap I don't use.

Recently, I came into posession of my dad's old laptop, which was soon made obsolete by the invention of the abacus. (It's an old dell inspirion, not that bad really) So I did some research and put Crunchbang linux on it, and it now runs like a dream. I really love the minimalist approach of crunchbang. It gives you just what you need to get started adding stufff you want and will use. I think its brilliant, and I also like the openbox window manager on it.

For my desktop pc though, performance isn't an issue. I built it just a couple years ago so its still quite fast(quad core, 8 gb ram, etc.)

So, I wan't something less bloated that I can add stuff on to as I need it, and that feels streamlined, not fat and bloated like my post . Linux Mint looks appealing but I have no idea really. My plan eventually is to make my own custom linux from scratch system but that will take a while.

</rambling>

Suggestions anyone?
    Last edited by supernerd; 05-01-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Fixed some derpy typos

Trusted Penguin
    crunchbang is a great idea for that old laptop.

for your new desktop PC, i'd recommend trying out Fedora 16 and Cinnamon DE. I recommend Fedora b/c it also is fairly user-friendly, is quite popular, has great dev/community support, and is backed by Red Hat. It comes with Gnome 3, but it is also very easy to install the Cinnamon DE, which is basically a Gnome 2 look-alike mod to Gnome 3. It is my main system, and I really like it. It is pretty easy to find a tut on how to install cinnamon. here's one.

good luck!
    supernerd likes this.

Welcome aboard, supernerd!
    I like the screen name... Very appropriate for a Linux Forum.

Seems like your wanting to delve a little further into Linux than just the user-friendly distros.
    If so, using an older laptop for experimentation, I would suggest Slackware.
    It's what I would call 'moderately advanced'.
    Getting past the install is the only hurdle. After that, it can be easy to maintain and easy on system resources.
    What are yoy really looking for in a distro?
    supernerd likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Engineer
    It's so hard to decide which is my favorite. For servers, currently my favorite is Debian. Great selection of packages, light weight, stream lined distro. Perfect distro to run a simple webserver, IMO.

For desktop, I'm considering switching to either Mint Debian, Debian, or Fedora. I was pretty impressed with Fedora and Gnome 3, but I despise Gnome 3 for disabling the task bar and desktop all together; why can't I have both?
    supernerd likes this.

I decided to wait a moment, then tell what my faves are.
    First.... CRUX. the speed you get from that system is unmatched, and it's ease of maintenance is second to none.
    Second, Slackware + IceWM.
    For the same reasons. Although Slack is slightly slower that CRUX.

I currently run Slack because my hardware has a tendency to overheat on CPU intensive tasks. CRUX is source-based... compiling everything locally.

But for a favorite... CRUX + IceWM.
    Last edited by jayd512; 05-01-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: major typo
    supernerd and Dapper Dan like this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

My Avater says it all for me.

Debian Testing or Unstable or Stable depending on what repos you wanna run. No sudo enabled by default. smxi and inxi scripts included. Lean and Mean. Cutting Edge. Good forum. Knowledgable members who are friendly and the Mepis Forum thrown in for good measure.

Beats Ubuntu hands down, (I can say this as I run that also on a Desktop).
    Edited out of respect for Crux Linux.

You just keep making me grin Jay
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    supernerd likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    You just keep making me grin Jay
    Yeah... I keep ya grinnin' with my typos!

So let me fix that one...
    CRUX + IceWM.

supernerd likes this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Basically, my post is what's your favorite Linux and what do you like and dislike about it?
    Suggestions anyone?
    The answer to the first question is Debian, because it works and is worry-free.
    The answer to the second question is the same as always; experimentation. Try as many distributions as you can handle before getting weary and pick the one you like most. If you have enough experience to know the difference between the various DEs and WMs, you should also know you can customise any distro to meet your desires. After trying several systems, choose the one you find easiest to work with and is as stable or unstable as you want it. No one can make that decision for you.
    supernerd likes this.

Just Joined!
    These days I build my own systems usually using Debian net install as a base, current desktop has my own custom made distro running Debian unstable with XFCE. Also Arch Linux is good as its very lean and quick to get packages into repos, got Arch on my laptop now as it has the latest XFCE 4.10 available. The only ready made distro I would have for everyday use now is Mint Debian XFCE. I also like FreeBSD as this is rock solid with something like Openbox or Scrotwm.
    supernerd likes this.

I build my own distros from scratch. I've been using my current system for about 3 or 4 years now; it's so stable that I have real trouble convincing myself to build another one -- but I'll get around to it one day.

If I had to pick an actual distro from all the ones available, it would be Slackware. It's the first distro I ever used and I'm using it on my laptop: an old 600MHz Dell Latitude that I keep as pure command line. I hacked the CD drive module and put a DVD drive in instead, and I used a PCMCIA card for wifi (supported by native drivers) -- so all in all it's pretty functional.
    supernerd and Bemk like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast