Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sorry guys, but I'm afraid Ubuntu, really Linux in general, just isn't working out for me. So I put Windows XP on a boot flash drive using a tutorial I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Going back to windows

Sorry guys, but I'm afraid Ubuntu, really Linux in general, just isn't working out for me.

So I put Windows XP on a boot flash drive using a tutorial I found involving GParted and Unetbootin, and and am trying to install it. But when I click on Install Windows, I get the error that says "No Valid System Partitions Were Found." What does that mean and how do I fix it so I can install Windows?

Some folks report having trouble trying to re-install Windows after installing Linux.
    You might have some luck if you first wipe the MBR and partition table.
    Code:
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
    After that, I don't have any real suggestions, since I haven't used Windows (therefore haven't installed it) in the last few years.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Only way I got a bootable windows XP SD card going.

antiX-forum - View topic - My New Asus EEEPC 701SD
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If you keep at it, perhaps you might discover one day that you actually quite like it. I wasn't always a GNU/Linux user: as with most people, I was indoctrinated into the Windows world through school and other such places. It was an active choice for me to install Slackware on my machine and stick with it; I think stubbornness can be a good trait in this respect. When I first learned to type on dvorak it frustrated me to no end -- and the first time I tried I gave up -- but the second time I stuck with it and now I can type really well on it. But then maybe it really isn't for you, and that's okay too, but I'd say keep at it.

Just Joined!
    See, I would stick with Linux if it ran the games I've actually paid for. Game such as Starcraft, Elder Scrolls V, Fallout NV, or even the free ones like LoL. None of thos have worked, no matter what walkthru I found to get them to run.

Just Joined!
    am I supposed to get a message saying it was done or ? because I did that in the console, and nothing happened.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Only way I got a bootable windows XP SD card going.
    That's installing the OS on the flashdrive unpacked tho. and it won't work because the hp format tool didn't work for me.

Smile

This isn't directly related to your problem in re-installing windows.

However, have you considered either running windows inside of linux or linux inside of windows from a virtual machine, like oracle's Virtual Box software. Its much more convenient than dual booting at for a lot of things. You get the best of both worlds and it can help ease the transition.

Whatever you do, best of luck!

It looks like you are wanting to run Linux. But you still want your Windows games.
    A dualboot system seems to be the best option for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    However, have you considered either running windows inside of linux or linux inside of windows from a virtual machine, like oracle's Virtual Box software. Its much more convenient than dual booting at for a lot of things. You get the best of both worlds and it can help ease the transition.
    I'll look into that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast