Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Hi. I wanted to get some information regards to Linux. Where would linux be used in a real-world environment? And what factors are relevant to such a deployment of linux? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Linux?

Hi.

I wanted to get some information regards to Linux.

Where would linux be used in a real-world environment?
    And what factors are relevant to such a deployment of linux?

I want to see what sort of environment would be good for linux and the factors for deploying it for that particular environment.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome!

Why Linux?
    First, Linux is NOT Windows.
    Second, I can control what software is included in my system.
    Third, I can give back to the folks that made my OS. In the form of support, report a bug once in a while, and word of mouth advertising.
    Fourth, it happens to be free.

All that aside, I use Linux as an everyday desktop computer... email, YouTube.

Linux is also the OS of choice when it comes to server uptime/stability.

Enjoy!
    Randicus likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

For the good of all of us: CERN launches open source hardware effort

plus what Jay said. Sounds like a home work question to me.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I use linux on my home desktop and laptop computers for personal computing needs.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux is sweet because the more you learn about it the more power you have to make your system exactly how you want it. Your whole system is transparent and visible to you if you can learn to understand it. I got into Linux just a few years ago to learn more about computers and get into programming. It is really freeing to not have to conform to the way Microsoft (or Apple or whatever) determines how your system should be set up. So far though I have only scratched the tip of the ice burg, but even so I love it and have a lot of fun with it; I never use windows except for occasional gaming now when wine doesn't work. I don't miss anything about it really, except Microsoft Office maybe.

Try it out and you'll see. Best of luck!

Just Joined!
    Cheap 'NIX platform. With development it ensures some of the semantics on other 'NIX are catered for by staying taught and lean to it, besides there are stable releases, so cater for it also in the action of development and programming.

At home, in the office and on the majority of web servers.
    In other words; everywhere.

Purpose; Yes, if one needs or wants the computer to be faster and do the job better than Microsoft.
    No, if the primary purpose is to play games.

Personality; If one wants the freedom to customise one's system.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by okman View Post
    Anywhere from home desktops to some of the busiest servers in the world, via mobile phones, routers and many other embedded devices
    List of users
    Slightlly more up to date but drier

Initial cost, TCO, stability, security and scalability.

More personally it comes down to choice, freedom and control.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

For me the reasons are:

No "Windows rot." That's a term coined to describe the gradual slowdown of Windows over time until it crawls and has to be re-installed - the only cure for "Windows rot" - which completely wipes away all the data I have saved (settings, documents, bookmarks, etc). My Linux has no such slowdown-to-a-crawl-over-time issues. And even if I have to completely reinstall my OS, I can do so without losing all my settings, bookmarks, pics, docs, tunes, and other data.

Immunity from most viruses and spyware. I have to deliberately do something really stupid in order for most malware to affect my system.

The cost (as in dollars) can't be beat. Linux is free! And so is almost all of the software available for it.

I use it for everything I did in Windows: Music and photo editing, school work, desktop publishing, web and e-mail, and even some gaming. For most casual users, it's got everything we need.

Linux dominates the server market because of it's virtual immunity, it's superb efficiency, reliability, and almost never needs down-time.

Just about everyone uses Linux even if they don't know it. It's in cellphones, ATMs, GPSes, and many other devices.

Linux Engineer
    Hi.

I wanted to get some information regards to Linux.

I want to see what sort of environment would be good for linux and the factors for deploying it for that particular environment.

Thanks
    Hello. Where I work, linux is used to run just about any computer application you can imagine. Web servers, database servers, streaming music servers.
    So many of today's applications use databases, especially large scale applications with 1000's of transactions per second. Linux software is most often times free and open source, allowing application developers to produce whatever their environment needs.

Linux is very stable, very secure, and very efficient. Also, it's considerably cheaper to deploy; no operating system licensing costs, lower system requirements. However, what you save in licensing and hardware costs, you're going to pay out at least a portion of that to your system administrators. Skilled linux admins are hard to come by, where as any fool with a set of eyeballs can setup a windows server.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast