Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by hazel Yes, Puppy has a lot of charm and an amazingly small footprint. But I could never get used to a distro that makes you root all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Yes, Puppy has a lot of charm and an amazingly small footprint. But I could never get used to a distro that makes you root all the time. It probably doesn't matter if you have only Puppy on your box, because you effectively reinstall it each time you use it. But if you have other distros on your hard drive, then that permanent root access becomes very dangerous.
    Hi
    Just put pup on its own partition and do not mount the other partitions all danger is removed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudye View Post
    So, its too popular for its own good already, I see.

So could we have a seperate thread, under the already catered for OS's that specifically take account these differences?
    Hi
    A sepreate thread does not spread the puppy word as only puppy users would use the thread
    Lets keep in the general forum so ALL users can read!!!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Yes, Puppy has a lot of charm and an amazingly small footprint. But I could never get used to a distro that makes you root all the time. It probably doesn't matter if you have only Puppy on your box, because you effectively reinstall it each time you use it. But if you have other distros on your hard drive, then that permanent root access becomes very dangerous.
    Puppy is Linux right? So can't you just create a non-root user account and log in using that? If no, then it will never even make it into my CDROM!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Puppy is Linux right? So can't you just create a non-root user account and log in using that? If no, then it will never even make it into my CDROM!
    Hi
    Why do you have a problem running in root. I have done so since pup1 and have never had a problem, that puppy turns off all services unless you ask a service to run. Ubuntu and windows runs services so has security holes. The only security hole that may be present is if you use flash, but again I have never had a problem.
    The shieids up site cannot even see puppy when run in root all ports cannot be seen.

Puppy is Linux right? So can't you just create a non-root user account
    PuppyLinux: Security Precautions

Live CD runs in ram elija. Goes away on shutdown unless a save file is made keeping changes. A lot of Puppy users run Puppy on DVDRW with a save fie on the DVD disk. Everything goes into ram that way and leaves on shutdown.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

But if you have other distros on your hard drive, then that permanent root access becomes very dangerous.
    Pmount does not automount internal drives. You have to go through pmount manulally to mount any drives.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I tried to make a user account for my kid but never figured out how. I don't think my 5 year old needs to run as root.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2