Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I have used Ubuntu and Mint before on older laptops and they were OK, better than windows anyway Recently I wanted to jump into Linux on my main desktop all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy is BEST!!

I have used Ubuntu and Mint before on older laptops and they were OK, better than windows anyway

Recently I wanted to jump into Linux on my main desktop all in one PC (Windows, don't start me off, enough is enough!).

I have, within the last week or so, tried at least 8 different Linux OS, all of which did not allow either video playback/sound or had resolution problems (cannot count the wasted time trawling forums trying to rectify to no avail). Until, Puppy!!.

What a fantastic OS this is, in my opinion, the best. Put in the iso cd, ran "puppy universal installer" from "menu", "setup" and bam, there it was full screen, amazing sound and great video.

MODERATORS - Why is this great OS NOT given its own spot on the forum index along with, what I class as lesser OS. Its a travesty that it is being hidden away like some mad aunt!

Being a long time Puppy Linux user since 2.16.

Code:
    Why is this great OS NOT given its own spot on the forum index along with, what I class as lesser OS. Its a travesty that it is being hidden away like some mad aunt!
    Maybe because

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: Index - Puppy Linux Discussion Forum

Puppy Linux Help & Forum

Puppy - LinuxQuestions.org

Macpup - The beauty of Linux Hardkap

There are so many other places that have this covered already. I did not post all the possible links either. I like Puppy to.

Edit: also. Maybe I should mention this. Puppy has it's own way of doing things like squashfs and puppy extra treats (.pets). There are not to many people on this forum that understands how Puppy works. glene77is is the only current active member I ever see posting here besides me when Puppy Linux comes up. 2 members out of many. I don't know if we could stand the strain.
    Murga Forums is where I go preferably for Puppy Linux.

So I guess numbers of users matter. Though don't say that about the Crux Linux users. Just kidding, Jay and Hazel and Dapperdan.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-09-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have read in some obscure blog or post somewhere that Puppy makes you run as root all the time. If that's true, I can see why it might not be that popular with some experienced Linux users. They have a superb version that is built on an Ubuntu base, too, I've read. Using the Ubuntu repositories and all. That's huge in it's favor too, if software availability matters a lot to you.

Just Joined!
    Yes, puppy runs as root by default (although there is a less-privileged user available in some versions). This is not a major problem as it is frequently run from RAM or LiveUSB/CD so even if you dork up you can just power off and no save is made.

I have used Puppy on and off for a few years on my netbook. I generally get annoyed after the 2nd or 3rd upgrade when everything BTFU and I can't get it back. Can't even install a different Puppy because it sees the old savefile which it can't use. Awesome. At that point I install a traditional OS or use something like Tiny Core for a while.

Admittedly, I'm swimming upstream by insisting on a frugal install.

Seems to me Puppy is best as designed, run as LiveCD/USB. To that end it's still the LiveUSB OS on my keyring.
    Sidekick likes this.

Sounds like what Knoppix was aiming for all along. I'll have to check it out and keep it on a USB key for school and stuff! Thanks for the review, Fratermus!

Yes, Puppy has a lot of charm and an amazingly small footprint. But I could never get used to a distro that makes you root all the time. It probably doesn't matter if you have only Puppy on your box, because you effectively reinstall it each time you use it. But if you have other distros on your hard drive, then that permanent root access becomes very dangerous.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I installed Puppy on a really old PC that would not install Mint or Ubuntu. Now my kid loves it because he has a computer for games and pbskids.org.
    Last edited by mactruck; 05-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Maybe because

There are so many other places that have this covered already. I did not post all the possible links either. I like Puppy to.
    So, its too popular for its own good already, I see.

Puppy has it's own way of doing things like squashfs and puppy extra treats (.pets).
    So could we have a seperate thread, under the already catered for OS's that specifically take account these differences?

As I said, I tried approx 8 different OS's before finding Puppy, if it is that obvious a choice out there (for those not already in the know) I am amazed it took me so long to find it as a possibility.

So could we have a seperate thread, under the already catered for OS's that specifically take account these differences?
    I figure that would be redundant. Just because for anything Puppy related. I just use this to point to any questions asked about how Puppy works.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I figure that would be redundant.
    But, my point is, you know about Puppy, many, many others do not even know of its existance (as I did'nt) or its possibilities as a Linux OS. I am sure that many of this forums members and browsers could appreciate even a small heads up sticky regarding it and the differences, it is all about choice after all.

Anyways, all things considered I guess my membership has now run its course and thanks for pointing me to other places of interest regarding Puppy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast