Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Ouch... the file edit that I posted above to get a logout option didn't last long, as the first time I updated packages, a gnome package over-wrote the edited file, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Ouch... the file edit that I posted above to get a logout option didn't last long, as the first time I updated packages, a gnome package over-wrote the edited file, so no logout option again.

After doing more research on the matter, I found a few links (see below) where there's been quite a disagreement going on over the last few days between some gnome devs, some third-party devs, and maybe some end users. I don't know what to think after reading through all of it, but I've pretty much decided to totally abandon gnome unless things begin to improve.

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=687752

Mena-Quintero: A Friday rant on Gnome 3, journalists, and power users [LWN.net]

There's also an interesting article linked below that I pretty much agree with regarding the current state of the Linux desktop, and its future:

Experimentation vs. Tradition: The Future of Innovation on the Linux Desktop - Datamation
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've pretty much given up on Gnome now and I doubt it will ever be installed on my machines again. Curiostity (and/or senility) may get the better of me one day although I hope not! KDE is much better than Gnome which is something I never thought I'd be saying but these days I stick with XFCE which has been making useful and genuine improvements to the user experience with every release.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I think the writing is on the wall for Gnome. If they continue in this direction, they'll wither and die. And it'll be deserved. It is the height of arrogance from the Gnome developers try to tell me how I must run my computer! And all because they want to protect their precious 'brand'. A brand, incidentally, that they wouldn't have without the long standing history with Gnome 2 from the main Linux distributions.

Can you still get FVWM?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Can you still get FVWM?
    Yes, it's still being developed and the latest release came out this past April. I ran FVWM for a year or two back when I first started running Arch and liked it very much, although it took what seemed like forever to get the config files built and tweaked the way I wanted them. They are stored away for now, and they'd need lots of new tweaks due to changes, but I've been considering setting up another FVWM box on CRUX, and might do that in the near future. My guess is that most of the window managers and minor desktop environments out there have noticed a surge in activity over the last few years.
    oz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3