Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Linux Format magazine gave it a good review and said that Gnome 3.4 had come on leaps and bounds. To be fair, Gnome 3 is better than the last time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I've been trying Fedora 17 wirh Gnome 3.4

Linux Format magazine gave it a good review and said that Gnome 3.4 had come on leaps and bounds.

To be fair, Gnome 3 is better than the last time I tried it and Fedora itself seems to be more stable but Gnome 3 is still pretty awful. It also shows Cinnamon for what it is; a slightly nicer skin on a crappy unconfigurable desktop.

What to replace it with... maybe go back home to Debian or try Fedora with a different desktop... or ....

[edit]Slapping MATE on it now...[/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 06-26-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Aaaah. That's better
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

oz
    forum.guy
    I've tried Gnome 3.x dozens of times since it was first released (all the way up to and including Gnome 3.4.2) and can't ever stick with it for very long. I do like the looks of it, but don't like the way it works. It also doesn't feel intuitive enough, and it takes too many extra mouse clicks or key presses to do the same job that it did before. All that said, I'm glad that it continues to be available for those that are fond of it.
    oz

I agree there oz, that is the true beauty and power of open source. I would call it pretty but clunky. I've tried a few versions of it now and I can safely say that it isn't for me. If Mate wasn't around then I'd be using XFCE!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

For what it's worth, the KDE spins look pretty sweet .....I have ran it live but not had time to fool with it yet.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I didn't like KDE 4 when it was first released and still don't like it as well as KDE 3.x, but I have grown to like it better than Gnome 3.x. I'm generally running Openbox (standalone), Xfce4, or KDE 4 these days, but those are not in any particular order of preference.
    oz

I've been running Fedora for a few months now and I have been using KDE (4.8) for at least a couple of months. I'm not unhappy with it and I may be sticking with Fedora for the time being. I'll decide on which desktop I'll use next (not Gnome 3.x - I've learned that lesson now) if I upgrade to Fedora 18. Part of me is thinking that Cent OS or Scientific Linux might be a good distro to use - like Fedora but much more stable; by stable I mean unchanging. I've kind of gotten used to having very up to date software versions though!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've been running Fedora for a few months now and I have been using KDE (4. for at least a couple of months. I'm not unhappy with it and I may be sticking with Fedora for the time being. I'll decide on which desktop I'll use next (not Gnome 3.x - I've learned that lesson now) if I upgrade to Fedora 18. Part of me is thinking that Cent OS or Scientific Linux might be a good distro to use - like Fedora but much more stable; by stable I mean unchanging. I've kind of gotten used to having very up to date software versions though!
    Every time I think I will drop Gentoo and get any other distro,,,I am reminded that many distros do not use the latest versions of software as Gentoo does. Kernels are usually a couple of versions behind and so forth.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Every time I think I will drop Gentoo and get any other distro,,,I am reminded that many distros do not use the latest versions of software as Gentoo does. Kernels are usually a couple of versions behind and so forth.
    And then you also consider how hard it is to get things installed on other distros now that you are used to Gentoo. IMO it is much easier to install drivers in Gentoo.

And I tried Gnome 3, I really did. I hated it. I couldn't use it for more than 10 minutes at a time without getting a headache. Uninstalled it immediately and went back to KDE.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Engineer
    I was able to get Fedora 17 to launch gnome 3 successfully in VirtualBox using default settings, unlike Fedora 16 or Debian Wheezy.

I used Fedora 15 (or 16?) for a while on my desktop. I did like the cool new look, and I like having the app menu the way it is, but there absolutely, 100% must be a task bar. It's not freaking optional. It's nearly impossible to tile windows in your work space.

Also, not having the ability to put files on the desktop by default is stupid. What's the point of the desktop then?
    I sincerely hope Debian Wheezy ships with Xfce as rumored, because my systems are in need of an update, and I'm much too lazy to tinker with my desktop/laptops systems that much (other stuff to do)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast