Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I think you would have to install Gnome 3 also which could be fun on Debian
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    So basically what your saying is rather than run through the hoops of attempting to install cinnamon on Debian using Gnome2, i should just download Mint and test it out that way?
    yep, that's what I'd do.

However, after having given a chance to the gnome shell, I think it's pretty good (I don't say awesome because you still depend on other people's extensions to make it work exactly like you want it to) and also the future in computing environments seems to be going down that avenue, so I'd say go for it!

ps: if you do decide to go for Mint and you want the gnome shell, try mint 12 to get the feeling of it because on mint 13 you have to install the gnome shell yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I think you would have to install Gnome 3 also which could be fun on Debian
    Yeah, so much fun that i would much rather install a new Distro! Probably far more simplier and won't take forever to install
    Especially considering Debian Testing doesn't even contain the repo for GNOME 3 by default at least to my knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by yagolf View Post
    yep, that's what I'd do.

However, after having given a chance to the gnome shell, I think it's pretty good (I don't say awesome because you still depend on other people's extensions to make it work exactly like you want it to) and also the future in computing environments seems to be going down that avenue, so I'd say go for it!

ps: if you do decide to go for Mint and you want the gnome shell, try mint 12 to get the feeling of it because on mint 13 you have to install the gnome shell yourself.
    Hang on i am confused, you mean Gnome Shell (as in Gnome 3) or do you mean Cinnamon (Gnome shell based)?? I will guess you mean Cinnamon, lol as Gnome 3 doesn't give you extensions aside from MGSE.

Found Cinnamon alot better than GNOME 3, cudos to the Mint Developers. It actually doesn't require 4735 mouse clicks to get to terminal (which equals productivity)!!
    In all seriousness though it was really good, hopefully in time, the 3rd party extension will just become part of Cinnamon, i really like it.

But still MATE Desktop Environment (GNOME2) all the way. Love it too much to change

"But still MATE Desktop Environment (GNOME2) all the way. Love it too much to change "

I heartily agree. I used to love Ubuntu 8.04 and found 10.04 great too, but with 12.04 I have been thorougly disgusted. I spent several hours last night trying to make a backup copy of an instructional cd I have. A few months ago I made them on the first few cd's of the series with no problem (Ubuntu 10.04), but last night it was no go. I don't know if I have a hardware problem (new computer also), or a problem with my xubuntu 12.04 install. The cd plays fine, but try to make a copy and it can't find the cd drive or says that no disc is in the drive. Tonight I switch to Mint13 mate.
    Registered Linux user #526930