Find the answer to your Linux question:
Most browsers now have a "don't track" option. Well, it's not fireproof. I read in the paper today that Google has been fined a large sum for bypassing the "don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

"Don't track" isn't always obeyed!

Most browsers now have a "don't track" option. Well, it's not fireproof. I read in the paper today that Google has been fined a large sum for bypassing the "don't track" option on the Apple Safari browser. Apparently they found some code that could trick it into accepting cookies.

And we were always told that Google's motto was "Don't be evil"!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Hazel, I do not want to get your thread closed by going into what I have been reading about Google lately so I'll just say that Big Brother loves Google, AT&T, Etc. for their vast co-operation in providing anything and everything Big Brother has ever requested.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Personally, I think Google has a patent on evil. And unfortunately they seemed to have licensed it to just about everybody. The really sad part is that what you're talking about is only the very tippy top of a HUGE iceberg.

They Are Coming For You On Thursday July 12, 2012.

If you download potentially copyrighted software, videos or music, your Internet service provider (ISP) has been watching, and they’re coming for you.

Specifically, they’re coming for you on Thursday, July 12.

That’s the date when the nation’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.

Word of the start date has been largely kept secret since ISPs announced their plans last June. The deal was brokered by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), and coordinated by the Obama Administration.

Taken from:
    14 Incredibly Creepy Surveillance Technologies That Big Brother Will Be Using To Spy On You
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Well lucky, even that only barely scratches the surface. Truly spooky times are coming down the pipe. (Which is why I'm trying to talk the wife in to moving to New Zealand.)

The data mining link kind of touches on some of the really scary stuff headed our way. AI has come a long way. There are now adaptive heuristic algorithms that can rewrite their own code on the fly. They are not yet cognizant, but some of them have the capability to learn in ways that are not all that dissimilar from the way a two year old child learns. Some of these algos are being built to siphon *all data* that moves on the net and filter it. Some of the filters are basically “pre-crime”.

Right now the cost to track every movement of every person in a densely populated 10 square block area in 5 minute increments is about $52(US) per person, per year; in other words it’s not happening because it costs too much. In less than 10 years that cost is projected to fall to less than $0.0001 per person per year for *continuous* monitoring. At which point the Minority Report will be a fond memory of childhood fantasies as compared to the cold hard realities of ubiquitous surveillance.

Shoot, just for giggles look up evercookies or what the NSA is building out in UT. That’s not even future “tinfoil hat” stuff, it’s already here.

BTW, bleachbit will “wash” evercookies out of your system between browser sessions. But, the only ways that I have personally found to block them from being put on your system in the first place will break about 98+% of every website that I have tried to use with the blocking methods in place.