Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am been suffering too much viruses in these past days and i hate to do reformat every week to keep my unit up. People say Linux is less likely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it true that Linux is less prone to viruses than windows?

I am been suffering too much viruses in these past days and i hate to do reformat every week to keep my unit up. People say Linux is less likely to be hit by viruses since most viruses are for windows and it doesn't work on Linux. if i can get answers to this, i will try using linux then, i need to know this right now to go on with my work.

. Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Willsteve3 View Post
    I am been suffering too much viruses in these past days and i hate to do reformat every week to keep my unit up. People say Linux is less likely to be hit by viruses since most viruses are for windows and it doesn't work on Linux. if i can get answers to this, i will try using linux then, i need to know this right now to go on with my work.

. Many thanks in advance.
    There are two reasons why Linux does not have viruses. One you've already noticed. Windows viruses take the form of .exe and similar programs and those don't run on Linux.

But Linux also has much stronger security. For instance, you have to be root and not a normal user to change system files. If you are logged on as yourself and you download something nasty, even if it can run on Linux, it can only run with your "permissions" and therefore it won't be permitted to change anything that belongs to root. Also anything downloaded via your browser won't be executable by default; you have to make it executable by changing its permissions before it can run.

But if fear of viruses is your only reason for wanting to use Linux, you might suffer a culture shock. Linux is very different from Windows. If you are prepared to accept that, it's quite easy to learn and you'll get plenty of help from the forum.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

There is a learning curve, but beginner friendly distro's like mint make it easier. Remember, this is not windows. Things are done a little different in linux than windows. Your windows programs wont work in linux, but there are usually similar linux programs (except for games). I made the switch 4 years ago, and have been very happy with linux. No viruses, no blue screens, and very few problems at all.
    Registered Linux user #526930