Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I understand if it's Ubuntu 10, but if I had tried using Unity my first time I'd be so confused lol! I like to recommend Linux Mint or Zorin OS, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why is Ubuntu always recommended to new Linux users?

I understand if it's Ubuntu 10, but if I had tried using Unity my first time I'd be so confused lol! I like to recommend Linux Mint or Zorin OS, but that's just me.

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu has become as ubiquitous as Google or some other cliche name brand. I agree with you. If a noob is looking for a load-and-go install, why not go with 'windoze'

Why is Ubuntu always recommended to new users? Clever advertising by Canonical!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I think Ubuntu was the first desktop distro (= pretty eye candy) that got the packages repositories working properly. So if you needed software it was a simple task to install it. Now most distros have their own repositories and are equally user friendly now

Linux Engineer
    We like to watch people suffer with driver and stability problems, that's why!

I personally don't recommend it.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    We like to watch people suffer with driver and stability problems, that's why!

I personally don't recommend it.
    me neither.

in any case, i usually lean towards the idea that it depends on what the user wants to do w/their system. but after hearing that, it usually ends up being Puppy/Arch (for speed), Fedora (for devs/general), CentOS (for servers), or some specifically geared OS, like an HTPC-based distro.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Ubuntu myself and it did take me some time to get use to Unity. Now I'm setting up a computer for an old lady that has never used a computer ever and I'm unsure of which distro to use. I'm thinking maybe Unity is ok if you never have seen an interface before and I feel awkard with it just because I'm not used? Best for here would probably be a screen with a nice background and 2-3 buttons (internet, mail and an editor)...

When I first started I tried lots of distros, including Ubuntu, which I never liked. The only one I could get to work easily 'out of the box' with my hardware was openSUSE and I'm still using it.
    My wife, who hates computers, uses it without a problem (except she still insists that we should have MS Windows!)
    Pete

Used to be, Ubuntu 8.x through 10.x, that Ubuntu worked well out of the box, and was easy for a newbie to learn. Recent ubuntu releases have gone off the rails. I happily used ubuntu 8.04, then 10.04, but when 12.04 came out I abandoned ship. I have the Xubuntu 12.04 installed only because I don't have the time to switch to Mint13 Mate.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I use Mepis and really like it, but I also have Mint on a netbook, and I would recommend it for someone who's new to a computer, or who is shifting from Windows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast