Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, Im quite experienced with linux and yet i still have the problem of not knowing which one to choose :L I havnt got time to create a custom ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux distro for laptop

Hi everyone, Im quite experienced with linux and yet i still have the problem of not knowing which one to choose :L

I havnt got time to create a custom OS like I have on my workstation, so I just need a very quick and simple one for my laptop (AMD 64-bit) all i use my laptop for is watching movies on netflix and other things like that, so all it needs to be essentially is a browser with full flash support, it has to be wifi aswell (just tried tiny core linux and setting up wifi is a pain in the bum)

It also needs to be very fast to boot, and can be installed without much trouble to the full hardrive.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as so far im out of luck

what I have tried so far:

Arch - too much hassle for someting so simple

Ubuntu - way too slow

fedora - just not my cup of tea

mint - great on my desktop, but takes too long to boot on my laptop

puppy - fast booting, easy to use, but doesnt like my gfx card so it wont scale to hd

slitaz - wouldnt install

adroid pc - theres a reason its only available on phones, its really quite bad on pc

browsr linux - wouldnt install

windows xp - what ca i say, i got desperate..

windows 8 - brilliant except same screen scaling problems as puppy.

meego - cant find the bugger anywhere

jolicloud - not compatible

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bizla View Post
    Hi everyone, Im quite experienced with linux and yet i still have the problem of not knowing which one to choose :L
    Hello

I don't know of any exact formula for finding which distribution will best suit you and your laptop hardware other than actually trying them and seeing how well they work out. That said, Lubuntu is growing in popularity as a lightweight option for users, so if Ubuntu worked for you but was too slow, Lubuntu might be a good place to start testing some options.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply, i'll try it out

I'm very interested in "easypeasy" OS, looks like a great one for latops, but its a collosal download for a "lightweight" distro so im not too sure about that :L

Have you ever tried damn small linux, and if so is it a quick and simple one? thanks, Bizla.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bizla View Post
    Have you ever tried damn small linux, and if so is it a quick and simple one?
    Yes, it was small, fast, and pretty simple, but it's been a very long time since I last tried it. The last stable version of DSL was released almost 4 years ago, so if it were me, I'd probably stay clear of that unless a newer version should be released because too many changes have occurred within the kernel and various applications over the last few years.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm a huge fan of Crunchbang.

Crunchbang is Debian with the Openbox window manager and Conky preinstalled. I suppose it has some other things preinstalled because it recognizes my WPA2 wireless network on the live CD, which Debian doesn't do. Anyway, give it a spin.

Add one for crunchbang, also antix, legacyOS, and possibly tinyme or minix. Go to distrowatch.com and browse what they have to offer, or do a search with their search tool.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I was impressed with the speed of Peppermint on my Toshiba NB205 (1GB ram).
    I've moved onto some others since then because I don't do a lot of stuff in the cloud, but the Peppermint forums were great and their lightweight philosophy is spot-on. I found Peppermint 2 to be slightly quicker than 3.

Just Joined!
    I understand the pain, I am currently choosing for the best Linux distro for my laptop too.

On my desktop, I current have Ubuntu installed and I'm loving the experience.

As far as laptops are concerned, I am running Jolicloud on an old (1 year plus) laptop. I quite like the experience but I do understand that going web-based is not a good choice for many. On a newer Acer laptop that I recently bought here in Malaysia, I am running Mint, so far so good and I did not encounter any slowness, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
    I understand the pain, I am currently choosing for the best Linux distro for my laptop too.
    I am running Mint, so far so good and I did not encounter any slowness, yet.
    I have been using fedora 17 on one of my HP laptop, it has been pain, slow boot, reboot or shutdown. but the most irratating is frequent disconnection of mobile broadband.
    on the other hand, linux mint is very fast to boot/reboot/shutdown.
    also i have not seen any network disconnection.
    plus to linux mint.
    Sorry, Linux is not my passion .
    Its addiction!!!